View previous topic | View next topic

Do you Flickr?.

Page 19 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

tetsabb
1096637.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
"The Mad Squirrel of Westerville" sounds like something out of Monty Python!

...or one of the lesser-known Sherlock Holmes tales.
CRISSDEE!

trdsf
1096671.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
trdsf wrote:
It's mostly typical gray squirrels around here, with a couple of white ones... and I've heard reports that black squirrels have been spotted locally, having finally made their way down from Kent. Wouldn't that be great to have large populations of all three?

No.

Duly amended to "...assuming a local population is not being displaced."

I was surprised to learn that the commonest squirrel here is the flying squirrel as I've never seen one, but they're nocturnal. We've also got the gray, red and fox squirrels. I've seen plenty of each, except of course for the flying squirrel.

trdsf
1096672.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Jenny wrote:
"The Mad Squirrel of Westerville" sounds like something out of Monty Python!

...or one of the lesser-known Sherlock Holmes tales.
CRISSDEE!

Right up there with the Giant Rat of Sumatra, no doubt. Or the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. :D

Oog. There's a mashup I decline to try writing...

Anyway, the squirrel attacks went on for several weeks (several high school and college students, one local minister, random members of the public) until it attacked a police officer, who shot it twice -- yes, the first bullet didn't stop it.

They had a vet do a detailed post mortem; he found no rabies, no gross physical deformity to the brain, no nothing. It was "just a mean squirrel" in his words. The Gahanna lion sightings about ten years later were considerably more relaxed.

Hm. We're about due for some animal craziness, it has been another ten years... :D

gacyclops
1124749.  Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

call me old-fashioned, but I was raised that a gentleman never asked a woman "do you flicker?" Those were the rules.

- a Yank, again

Leith
1146311.  Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote

I've been sorting through some old photos from a couple of years back over the weekend.

I found a few I'd taken in response to Bondee and djg's idea (post 963356) of taking monthly pictures of the same location throughout the year. As it happened, I got distracted after six months, but thought I'd process the pictures I did take.

The willow tree pictured sits on top of a hill in my local nature reserve.

'yorz
1146344.  Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote

These are lovely, Leith. The 3rd one is my favourite - reflection, depth, and the gorgeous colours....

Jenny
1146468.  Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Yes I like the third one a lot too, though I also like the first.

trdsf
1153717.  Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote

As Rob Brydon said, that's not four, it's three. I would have never noticed these triglyphs on the Ohio State House had it not been on QI:

Now, what was it they said about the Acropolis where the Parthenon is?

Jenny
1153788.  Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote

According to my architect husband, Woodsman of these forums, (who actually did his architecture degree at the University of Cincinnati) the reason triglyphs were such a common feature of ancient Greek temples is that they were mimicking the effect of the ends of wooden roof-beams in older structures.

For fact fans (as I know many in this forum fall into that category), the space between triglyphs is called a metope. In ancient Greece, they were often filled with elaborately carved bas relief pictures - in fact the display of the Elgin marbles in the British museum contains many metopes.

fad460
1168669.  Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote

Great images!

Leith
1297387.  Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Rotterdam, in its national colours

Jenny
1297646.  Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Gorgeous! Are you there now, Leith?

Leith
1297862.  Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I was on the ferry back to Hull at the time - just a brief visit a few weeks back. I don't think I've seen a port on that scale before - it's quite an impressive sight.

Bondee
1297863.  Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote

A sky like that is one of the few advantages of being awake at silly o'clock in the morning.

It being the Netherlands, I can pretty much guarantee that each of those turbines has at least one of my anemometers on them.

crissdee
1363016.  Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote

Our local war memorial, (on which appears my name, sort of) looking splendiferous in the winter sun.

Page 19 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next