View previous topic | View next topic

Do you Flickr?.

Page 19 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Leith
1063476.  Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote


Snowdrops at Welford Park a couple of weekends ago.

 
Jenny
1063486.  Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote

How pretty! I'm longing to see spring flowers instead of snow.

 
barbados
1076764.  Wed May 28, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote

 
trdsf
1096321.  Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Here's a local critter -- a white squirrel. Third one I've seen in town. We're getting more interesting wildlife in town -- last fall I was nearly hit by a deer while biking home three times in four weeks, and last month saw a fox on the lawn of a local synagogue (must've been Orthofox...) and these are all in heavily urbanized areas.

 
Jenny
1096377.  Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Ha - I've never seen one of those before! I guess it would be safer in an urbanized area than somewhere more rural.

 
trdsf
1096587.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Ha - I've never seen one of those before! I guess it would be safer in an urbanized area than somewhere more rural.


Columbus has a LOT of trees--and three major north-south bike trails, which are surely how the deer are getting this deep into town (I'm about two and a half miles from downtown, definitely inner city and not suburban).

It's mostly typical gray squirrels around here, with a couple of white ones... and I've heard reports that black squirrels have been spotted locally, having finally made their way down from Kent. Wouldn't that be great to have large populations of all three?

Well, as long as we don't get a repeat of The Mad Squirrel of Westerville, anyway. :)

 
'yorz
1096589.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote

trdsf wrote:
It's mostly typical gray squirrels around here, with a couple of white ones... and I've heard reports that black squirrels have been spotted locally, having finally made their way down from Kent. Wouldn't that be great to have large populations of all three?


No.

 
Jenny
1096636.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote

"The Mad Squirrel of Westerville" sounds like something out of Monty Python!

 
tetsabb
1096637.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
"The Mad Squirrel of Westerville" sounds like something out of Monty Python!

...or one of the lesser-known Sherlock Holmes tales.
CRISSDEE!

 
trdsf
1096671.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
trdsf wrote:
It's mostly typical gray squirrels around here, with a couple of white ones... and I've heard reports that black squirrels have been spotted locally, having finally made their way down from Kent. Wouldn't that be great to have large populations of all three?


No.


Duly amended to "...assuming a local population is not being displaced."

I was surprised to learn that the commonest squirrel here is the flying squirrel as I've never seen one, but they're nocturnal. We've also got the gray, red and fox squirrels. I've seen plenty of each, except of course for the flying squirrel.

 
trdsf
1096672.  Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Jenny wrote:
"The Mad Squirrel of Westerville" sounds like something out of Monty Python!

...or one of the lesser-known Sherlock Holmes tales.
CRISSDEE!


Right up there with the Giant Rat of Sumatra, no doubt. Or the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. :D

Oog. There's a mashup I decline to try writing...

Anyway, the squirrel attacks went on for several weeks (several high school and college students, one local minister, random members of the public) until it attacked a police officer, who shot it twice -- yes, the first bullet didn't stop it.

They had a vet do a detailed post mortem; he found no rabies, no gross physical deformity to the brain, no nothing. It was "just a mean squirrel" in his words. The Gahanna lion sightings about ten years later were considerably more relaxed.

Hm. We're about due for some animal craziness, it has been another ten years... :D

 
gacyclops
1124749.  Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

call me old-fashioned, but I was raised that a gentleman never asked a woman "do you flicker?" Those were the rules.

- a Yank, again

 
Leith
1146311.  Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote

I've been sorting through some old photos from a couple of years back over the weekend.

I found a few I'd taken in response to Bondee and djg's idea (post 963356) of taking monthly pictures of the same location throughout the year. As it happened, I got distracted after six months, but thought I'd process the pictures I did take.

The willow tree pictured sits on top of a hill in my local nature reserve.






 
'yorz
1146344.  Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote

These are lovely, Leith. The 3rd one is my favourite - reflection, depth, and the gorgeous colours....

 
Jenny
1146468.  Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Yes I like the third one a lot too, though I also like the first.

 

Page 19 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group