View previous topic | View next topic

Do you Flickr?.

Page 17 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jenny
903515.  Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

QI photographers on this thread - please do join the QI Flickr group and upload some of your photos to the Photo of the Week thread.

Will
906795.  Fri May 04, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum, so I'm doing the rounds - I have a Flickr account and a website/blog with all of my photos on. I might add some of them to this thread at a later date.
I've just had a quick browse through this thread, and I've seen some really good images! There's a pretty high standard here, maybe I'll wait a little longer before I put my own up!

Will.

Jenny
906827.  Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Hi Will - and please check out the Photo of the Week thread as well.

hobittual
920727.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote

This is from a picture I took in a Delhi street 5 years ago at 2.30 am.
The girls expression is priceless.

Here is the original picture. It is one of my favourites.

bemahan
920740.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Hi Hob. Nice to see you here again.

hobittual
920741.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Why thank you muchly.

'yorz
920747.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote

hobittual - please heed Jenny's plea at the top of this page. If you've got more corkers like the above one....

hobittual
920751.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I could do with a link to the hub of it all please, 'yorzey mama.
I am confounded as to its whereabouts regardless of my thorough searchingness.

'yorz
920754.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote

post 919413
Le voila, mon fils ;-)

Jenny
920771.  Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Great picture hobittual, and nice to see you back here. Please do put that one on the QI Flickr group and upload it to the photo of the week thread.

Oceans Edge
921761.  Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote

at the risk of opening one of those cans of worms where everyone has an opinion that they're really quite convinced is the ONE TRUE WAY.

I seek input .. advice and knowledgeable opinion ...

my much beloved Fuji Finepix S5500 .... has sadly bit the dust after 7 years of very faithful service, it still suits images, but as non of the view finders or LCDs work it's impossible to see what one is shooting till you download it.

Ah well... it's time had come.

Now I must replace it. The market is even more complex and more buzzwords and more technical data ... non of which is the same as the next guy's buzzwords or technical data....

I'm really of two minds. One mind is that I'd like to replace it with something very similar: A bridge camera, one that has fully automated features and no interchangeable lenses, but can shoot fully (or mostly) manual thus giving me both the ability to shoot decent photos without fuss, but to also learn and practice my photography skills. That was my hunting criteria when I bought the S5500 and it served that purpose well, at the time it was about the only camera that did, certainly the only one that did for $500.

Wanting to still keep things to the $500 mark - I'm thinking so far it looks as though the FUJIFILM HS30EXR 16MP 30X 3"LCD CMOS may be my best bet for that price point.

My second mind is to finally take a leap and step up to a full DSLR, in which case it would be already decided to go to a Canon body, probably something in the Rebel line - as we already have Canon bodies and lenses in the house and really why would I set myself up to buying two sets of glass for everything? Certainly a T3 would still put me in that $500 ballpark.

Husband points out .. rightly so... that the HS30 has features and abilities that his now 3 yr old Rebel doesn't have. The Fuji bridge cameras have always been quite well reviewed especially for their price point. There is some discussion that you start to get noise once you hit ISO 3200 - but I'm thinking, if I'm reaching for ISO 3200 that often, it'll be time to step up my game to a prosumer. No, I'm not there yet.

Still the market is a lot more crowded than it was back at Christmas 2004, and while the buzzwords don't change that much the technology in sensors etc has certainly marched on.

So in the interest of edumicating myself, and picking my way through the thorny world of digital imaging... enlighten me oh denizens of the QI forums and tell me what YOU think is important I look for and consider as I try to weed my way through this jungle of information .. before I face some slick salesman at Henry's

Efros
921774.  Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote

Not sure of your current camera's properties but the one frustrating thing my digital camera doesn't have is the facility to turn off the auto focus, this will be a must when I replace it.

Leith
922305.  Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Can't tell you much about DSLRs, OE, but I've been very happy with my Fujifilm HS10 (very similar to the HS30, its successor model).

It's a nice, tactile, solid-feeling camera with unusually good manual controls for a bridge camera (manual zoom and focus rings, plus lots of intuitively placed, easy-to-reach* buttons). The huge zoom range and ability to take short bursts at 10 frames per second make it fairly capable for wildlife photography, which is mostly what I use it for**. Worth noting that the zoom is manual only. It has fully automatic modes, too; they're ok but not great - really more of a stepping-stone to the manual controls which are what the camera is all about. You won't get the picture quality of an SLR but, as James says, it has the sort of controls and flexibility that you don't necessarily get on entry-level DSLRs.

The HS10's primary weak spot is the electronic viewfinder - resolution too poor to easily tell whether you're in focus, no eye-cup to keep the sun out***. I also find the sensor resolution a bit low (you can't get away with cropping images much), and it's a shame you can't re-focus while shooting video. Still a great camera for the price, though, and they seem to have addressed all of these issues on the HS30, except the eye-cup (much improved sensor and viewfinder resolution and more video control). The HS30's new EXR sensor looks like it has some cool features, too, with its low-light and wide dynamic range modes.

One thing to check if you want to play with RAW images: All the HS10 came with for processing RAW files was a horrible, horrible piece of software called SilkyPix, which took me ages of fiddling with just to get a normal-looking image out. If you have something like Photoshop or Lightroom, you can use those instead (though they can be a little slow to add support for new Fujifilm models). If you don't, they're not cheap.

So, if you want that zoom range and manual control, and are less fussed about getting SLR-level image quality, the HS30 looks pretty good to me. Only little things missing that I'd use - the eye-cup, a time-lapse photography mode, exposure bracketing at more than 1 EV, but these are just minor quibbles, really.

* Depending on your hand-size, possibly.
** I prefer my little pocket-sized Nikon for landscapes, HDR pictures and suchlike - more portable, better image quality, easier to hold still.
*** This is occasionally a problem in the UK, honest...

Oceans Edge
922316.  Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Efros, and Leith, that was very helpful..

I really do think this is the direction I'm heading in..I've follwed the camera reviews (amongst other things) on Digital Photography School for a while now and have a fair bit of faith in their reviewer and he always uses the same picture test set up. So when I looked at the HS30 there, I find I'm pleased with the image quality. I'm not seeing any noise till ISO 3200, and that's FINE for me.

Having spent the past few days going over a number of reviews and options I'm not seeing anything in that price point in a bridge camera that compares, and I think at this juncture I think I'd rather have a bridge camera with a few more features, than an entry level DSLR.

If I'm really feeling like I'm missing out on something (re the DSLR) or I really want to try experimenting with it - I can always borrow James's - when I start using his more than my own, it'll be time to make the switch :)

So ... once we have some cash, I think I'll have to go shopping :)
Must have the cash first though - LOL!

Starfish13
922912.  Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote

First attempt at making an HDR type image.

Page 17 of 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next