View previous topic | View next topic

Queen Elizabeth and Driving Licences

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Burnsy2023
660947.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote

Alas, I think Stephan Fry is wrong when he said that the Queen doesn't possess a DL :(

I'm sure this is true:

Quote:
Although The Queen does not require a driving licence by law, she learned to drive in 1945, while still Princess Elizabeth, as a member of the Auxiliary Territorial Service. She would have required a licence at this time, since she was not the Sovereign and would therefore have been required to hold a driving licence under the existing acts of that time.

I think Mr Fry needs to whip the researchers on that one. [/quote]

Flash
660951.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote

Driving tests were suspended from 1939 to 1946, as it happens, but even if she did get a licence after that time, and kept it when she became Queen, it would have expired on her 70th birthday (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086) and unless you have evidence that she submitted a form D46P to DVLA in 1996 then it isn't the researchers that need whipping. ;-)

bemahan
660961.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote

Did Stephen specify that she didn't have an up-to-date/valid DL? ;)

Celebaelin
660966.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote

Hmmmm, try that one on the police - it's OK officer I used to have a licence.

bemahan
660967.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote

I was being pedantic. If at some point she was* issued with a DL, she may still have it shoved in a drawer somewhere and, therefore, still possess a DL even if it is out-of-date/invalid.

*one for grammar pedants - should that be 'were'?

PDR
660979.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I was being pedantic. If at some point she was* issued with a DL, she may still have it shoved in a drawer somewhere

Rubbish.

She'd have people to shove things into drawer FOR her. The sovereign would never descend into doing her own drawer-shoving. We may be in a recession, and the country may be toying with this silly notion of egalitarianism, but some things will always remain as core tennets of the British culture.

PDR

PDR
660980.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Driving tests were suspended from 1939 to 1946, as it happens, but even if she did get a licence after that time, and kept it when she became Queen, it would have expired on her 70th birthday (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086) and unless you have evidence that she submitted a form D46P to DVLA in 1996 then it isn't the researchers that need whipping. ;-)

Even if it existed, wouldn't it have been a military driving permit? I'm told that these were documents that most people got during national service and that on leaving the services they could be submitted as an alternative to taking a driving test.

I do remember a TV programme on Princess Anne saying that she had a class 2 HGV license (so she could drive horse transporters), but that's a different matter of course.

PDR

bemahan
660982.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
She'd have people to shove things into drawer FOR her.

Nah - I'm pretty sure she has a drawer somewhere in Buck House or Windsor Castle where she does her own shoving. It's an irresistible human instinct.

hassan el kebir
660986.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah - I'm pretty sure she has a drawer somewhere in Buck House or Windsor Castle where she does her own shoving. It's an irresistible human instinct.

Well she's got to have somewhere to hide things from Phillip surely

suze
660992.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote

As Flash notes, at the time that HM learned to drive, it was not necessary to take a driving test - anyone who paid the fee for a licence was allowed to drive. While driving tests were reintroduced in 1946, anyone who had acquired a licence during the war years was allowed to keep it, and didn't suddenly have to take a test.

Now, until some year which I can't immediately discover (husband thinks it was in the 1970s), a driving licence expired after five years and one had to get a new one. So if the Queen learned to drive in 1945, she'll have to renew her licence in 1950, but not again since by 1955 she had become Queen. (Does she ever drive on public roads in any case? Doesn't she have people for that?)

The system then changed so that one's licence remained valid up to the age of 70. No longer, though. While a paper licence does indeed remain valid to 70, the photocard kind doesn't - it must be renewed every ten years. It is suggested that there are people who don't know this, and may possibly be driving illegally - see here, for instance.

BondiTram
661130.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote

I could be wrong on this, after all I haven't had a British licence since I exchanged it for a French one in 1999, but I seem to have heard that the licence expires at age 70 but the photo has to be updated every 10 years.
Not wishing to crow of course but my French one lasts as long as I live, unless I want to continue to keep the heavy goods entitlement and take a medical for a new one every 2 years.
Which I do.

suze
661135.  Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Ah, Mr Tram, nice to see you again!

You're essentially right there. If one held a full British licence before the photocard ones were introduced in 1998, then there is no compulsion to get a photocard one in addition - and the old paper one will still be valid until the age of 70.

Even so, if one has to change one's licence for any reason - change of address, change of surname on marriage, and so on - then the new one will be the photocard kind.

If one has a photocard licence which has expired after ten years and continues to drive on it, then one is driving without a valid licence. Which can land one before the courts, so is worth not doing.

Oh, and I've now found out when the change to which I alluded earlier happened. Until 1976, one had to renew one's licence every five years; after that, it was valid until age 70.

Davini994
661218.  Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
...unless I want to continue to keep the heavy goods entitlement and take a medical for a new one every 2 years.
Which I do.

I guess you must like trucking then.

;)

BondiTram
661520.  Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:

I guess you must like trucking then.

;)

Not really, well not that kind anyway, there is a backlash at least amongst us older types to the very word 'truck'. We talk of 'lorries' and 'wagons', even 'motors', and anyway, to us long distance international types a common or garden 8-legged tipper is a bit beneath our dignity.......

To be serious though, the only reason I go through the farce of a medical every couple of years (obligatory in France after age 60) is to allow me to pull caravans and larger trailers rather than to actually go back to 'transport driving' (sniff) which in any case is denied to me as I can't afford the 5 yearly FCOS, a refresher course necessary for experienced HGV (not LGV in my lingo you note) drivers.

Also, nobody has asked me to come out of retirement.

BTW, I like hedgehogs so couldn't watch that video beyond the first few seconds.

yoda6519
662691.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

HM The Queen would prob have been given a driving permit due to the war , this technically is not a driving licsence.

in a time of war as it was then you're not going to give everyone a test are you?

as long as they could competently drive the vehicles then they were allowed on a permit as opposed to a liscence. IIRC

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next