View previous topic | View next topic

Hamsters -Dwarf Russian

Page 1 of 1

scottydog
660408.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote

Ok, desperately trying to validate this point, but I remember reading as a child in one of those 'My First Pet Hamster' books that all Dwarf Russian Hamsters currently in captivity in the UK are from the resulting offspring of a single breeding pair brought to these shores in the 1920's.

That's a pretty clear lineage if true.

Can anyone on here validate this potential factoid?

stee
660491.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote

I have heard of this before (in the context of 'Did you know...', 'Oh, everyone knows that...'), but this is the closest I have been able to get to 'proof':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4241645/Leonard-Goodwin.html

He claimed that all pet hamsters in the UK were bred from his colony that he imported and experimented on.

In Israel, most of the wild Syrian hamsters are believed to have bred from another litter of escapees from experimentation wiki

Also according to wiki, there are 17 different species of hamster, and at least 3 are called russian dwarves, so its looks to me like it may be an exaggeration based on these stories.

On a side note, if these hamsters escaped from animal testing labs, how come there aren't any mutant super-hero hamsters knocking about?

I WANT A SUPER HERO HAMSTER!!!!

scottydog
660498.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote

There'd be more if ti wasn't for Freddie Starr!

Do you think the hamster super hero would take it's specias revenge on dear old Freddie?

masterfroggy
660500.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote

My daughter has two Winter White Dwarf Russian, we had three but one died. They are different from their Dwarf Russian hamsters as they seem to be able to move the bones in their skull, enabling them to get through gaps that Dwarf Russian hamsters are not. (We’re talking bars 9mm apart) Campbells Russian Hamster, are different again.
Winter White Dwarf Russian are tiny and if kept in the cool and dark during the winter months turn white, with a broad gray strip on their back and ear tips. Compared to the Syrian hamsters they are less a pet for kids as they dislike being handled and bite anyone for no reason. They are lightning fast on their feet.

Celebaelin
660508.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote

Boo the miniature giant space-hamster (and Minsk the berserk ranger).

Quote:
The notion of Minsc's animal companion Boo as possibly a "miniature giant space hamster" originates from Dungeons & Dragons source material, first mentioned in the Spelljammer campaign setting which described them as giant hamsters bred to paddle wheels for flying ships, which can alternatively be bred in miniature form, looking like a normal hamster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsc
http://www.minscandboo.com/quotes.php

Quote:
It is a wonderful place with many fields. It could only be better, maybe, if every ranger of the Berseker Lodge had his very own hamster! Just think of the implications!

Then there's 'filigree Siberian hamsters'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_the_Rat

Ameena
660788.  Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Aawww, someone beat me to a Boo reference :P. If you try quitting Baldur's Gate by pressing Alt+F4 (rather than going to the menu and clicking "Exit" or whatever), you get a pop-up window saying "Are you sure? Boo will miss you...".

frances123
790058.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote

I would recommend getting your hamster from a local breeder (or the closest you can find) that handles their hamsters; call a non-chain pet store in your area, talk to different employees and see if they have any information on hamster breeders; even non-Russian hamster breeders may have the resources to help you find what you are looking for. NEVER EVER get pets from Pets-Mart or any other major commercial pet store, if you Google 'Pets-Mart cruelty' some pretty horrendous things come up, there is even a website devoted to informing the public about it.

<links removed - not really relevant to the thread and potentially spammy>

Page 1 of 1