View previous topic | View next topic

Germany - Schnitzel with Noodles

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

BigBry
659540.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote

In the "Germany" program, Stephen said that the line from The Sound of Music about "Schnitzel with noodles" was wrong, as noodles are not generally recognised as a part of German (or Austrian) cuisine.

I suggest the QI elves look up "Spätzle", which is a German equivalent of the noodle and is a common accompaniment to schnitzel.





Edit: thanks for the tip ruthmore


Last edited by BigBry on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

 
AlmondFacialBar
659549.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote

true, schnitzel und spätzle is reasonably common in german cooking, but as

a) schnitzel is originally austrian

and

b) the sound of music is set in austria, too

stephen remains right, because over there they prefer it with potato salad.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
ruthmore
659556.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote

Try adding the file extension (in this case: .jpg) -- et voilá:




And you're absolutely right about the Spätzle!

ETA: I see your point, AFB, but wasn't this episode about Germany, not Austria? :P

 
BigBry
659563.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
...
a) schnitzel is originally austrian

and

b) the sound of music is set in austria, too

...
AlmondFacialBar


Sorry AFB you are right on both counts (and you should know) and I should have said Austria not Germany. But in that case Stephen shouldn't even have brought it up in this program.

 
Flash
659564.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote

BigBry wrote:
In the "Germany" program, Stephen said that the line from The Sound of Music about "Schnitzel with noodles" was wrong, as noodles are not generally recognised as a part of German (or Austrian) cuisine.

No, he didn't. He said this:
Quote:
Schnitzel is almost never served with noodles. It might be occasionally now, simply because of the song, but it basically rhymes with strudels, so let’s be honest, that’s, that’s why

There was an inaccuracy there, as it's really Wiener Schnitzel that isn't normally served with noodles - but he didn't say anything about noodles not being a part of German or Austrian cuisine.


Last edited by Flash on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

 
AlmondFacialBar
659566.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote

ok, you both win! ;-)

and now i want kasspätzle... MEH! *sniff* *homesick*

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
BigBry
659572.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote

Thank you Flash, I was just working from my (failing) memory.
I don't transcribe the whole program like some people ;P

 
masterfroggy
659575.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote

Surely as the song was written by an American Jew of German origin, none of that is relevent.
The writer also wrote Edelweiss which is neither a folk song nor is it "Austria's official anthem" though it was the last song he wrote.

 
AlmondFacialBar
659578.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote

and your logic works how exactly?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
masterfroggy
659580.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
and your logic works how exactly?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar
Yoda, are not you

 
AlmondFacialBar
659588.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote

yoda it was not supposed to be, emphasis it was.

and i'm still waiting for a reply that's actually relevant to my question. how exactly does your logic work there?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
CB27
659601.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote

I love my schnitzel with a side serving of shredded red cabbage in mayonnaise and potato salad with crushed nuts.

Mmmmmm....

 
masterfroggy
659621.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote

The song was not written as a commentary on the dietary habits of Germans nor Austrians, or even nuns. The man who wrote the song was an American Jew, who needed a word to rhyme with strudel, so he could have asked a friend or relation, and being of American Jewish German origin his family may have mispronounced Spätzle to sound like strudel, or even if they had said Spätzle right, it may not have been the word that the writer felt was right for the stanza/verse.
It’s a song, not a culinary/social commentary; its origin is not relevant to the OP complaint, which was

“Stephen said that the line from The Sound of Music about "Schnitzel with noodles" was wrong, as noodles are not generally recognised as a part of German (or Austrian) cuisine”
Which as it happens, was NOT what Stephen had said

“Schnitzel is almost never served with noodles. It might be occasionally now, simply because of the song, but it basically rhymes with strudels, so let’s be honest, that’s, that’s why”

 
AlmondFacialBar
659642.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote

masterfroggy wrote:
The song was not written as a commentary on the dietary habits of Germans nor Austrians, or even nuns.


that is absolutely true, but the same thing would have applied if the song had been written by a tibetan monk.

masterfroggy wrote:
The man who wrote the song was an American Jew, who needed a word to rhyme with strudel, so he could have asked a friend or relation, and being of American Jewish German origin his family may have mispronounced Spätzle to sound like strudel, or even if they had said Spätzle right, it may not have been the word that the writer felt was right for the stanza/verse.


indeed he needed a rhyme for strudel, but again his ethnicity is irrelevant to that fact. also, as a jew of his generation he was more than likely reasonably competent in yiddish, which draws a lot of its vocabularly stock from southwest german dialect, i.e. the area where spätzle actually come from. it can therefore be assumed that he was at least vaguely familiar with the concept. as in, you can't assume that because the guy had probably never been to germany in his life he didn't know about german cooking. anyways, i've never been to india but i still make one hell of a good curry, after all one thing has little or nothing to do with the other. so, again, your statement is quite irrelevant to the debate.

masterfroggy wrote:
It’s a song, not a culinary/social commentary; its origin is not relevant to the OP complaint, which was

“Stephen said that the line from The Sound of Music about "Schnitzel with noodles" was wrong, as noodles are not generally recognised as a part of German (or Austrian) cuisine”
Which as it happens, was NOT what Stephen had said

“Schnitzel is almost never served with noodles. It might be occasionally now, simply because of the song, but it basically rhymes with strudels, so let’s be honest, that’s, that’s why”


and no one ever disputed that. what was disputed is how relevant the whole question was to the episode.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
masterfroggy
659652.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
, i've never been to india but i still make one hell of a good curry, after all one thing has little or nothing to do with the other. so, again,
How do you know? Without tasting a proper Indian curry, how do you know the thing you call curry, really is?
I’ve never had Wiener Schnitzel, but I have had escalope of veal, are they not the same?

The OP said Stephen was wrong and the OP was proved wrong, so in what way is my first comment not relevant, other than in your opinion.

 

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group