View previous topic | View next topic

The year WWII ended....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

SixFeet
28609.  Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote

i didn't quite hear the reasoning behind it as one of the panel were talking when stephen was explaining, can anyone verify why it was 1990?

i was looking at wikipedia and was reading up about the end of the war and then the segregation that led to the east and west germany and was wondering if this is correct

at the end of the war berlin was ruled by the french, english, americans and soviets until the tension between the soviets and the rest grew. they succeeded and created east germany, the cold war started and germany wasn't unified again until the berlin wall was knocked down

if this is true, i don't see why it wasn't classed as germany, even though berlin was under foreign control

explanation would be greatly appreciated

Flash
28630.  Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote

The point that was being made was that there wasn't a government of Germany for anyone to make formal peace with until 1990.

Although actual hostilities came to an end in September 1945, the Cold War got in the way of a formal legal settlement. The Paris Peace Treaties of 1947 wrapped up the wars between the allied powers and their non-German European enemies (Italy, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, and Finland); in 1952, the Allies (except the USSR) signed the Treaty of San Francisco with Japan, and, in 1955, Austria was restored to sovereignty. Germany, however, remained divided—first between the Western powers and the USSR, then (until 1990) into two sovereign Germanies. So the first celebration of German reunification (although see comments elsewhere on this board as to whether that is the right word), on 3rd October 1990, marks the official end to World War II.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total

SixFeet
28632.  Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote

Ahhh thank you very much Flash, it is greatly appreciated.

Caradoc
28712.  Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=27100&highlight=kuril#27100

WWII has not ended officially see above.

I also recall that Berwick-on-Tweed was at war with Russia for 110 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick-upon-Tweed

English Pete
29127.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

If a place is being governed by rules and people have created these rule then surely that place has a government being The group of people who have control of that bit of land. So i cant see how this works really!
Also for it to be "world war two" then surely it must consist of a war at least which means there has to be at least a quarrel between the allies and the old enermy which there wasn't.
Please feel free to correct me if am entirely wrong because it was really of the top of my head.
thank you all

Flash
29147.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Of course this is a mere quibble - that is, it has no practical effect. But the point was that the entity which declared war (or rather, on which war was declared, I think) in 1939 did not exist in 1945 or at any time thereafter until 1990, so it wasn't able to formally terminate the hostilities. It's not something to get too hung up on. The USA never formally declared war on Iraq, in either Gulf War. Bombed them to hell and back regardless, though.

English Pete
29149.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote

actually yeh i think i did sound abit too serious there
ah well

does anyone know who decided to call it a "world" war

must have come form sumone/where

Flash
29151.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone 'deciding', but it was pretty global. It's hard to think of many countries outside South America which weren't involved in some way.

Frederick The Monk
29158.  Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote

Must have been the Americans - whenever they bowl up it simply has to be a World Series.

laidbacklazyman
29160.  Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote

Certain trains of thought may feel the real first world war was actually the American Revolution (if you're from this side of the pond, war of independance if you're from the other). So we have actually had the third one already.

Kevino7
29214.  Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Surely the question is wrong, the second world war is in theory a continuation of the first. Hitler said the peace beforehead was merely a seizefire while the countries recuperated their losses and the political climate settled.

English Pete
29244.  Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote

yep but who was the first person/s to use the term "world war" as an official name for those conflicts.

thanks all

Tas
29496.  Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote

Just a thought....has Germany ACTUALLY signed a document to show they are no longer at war?

I know The Allies and the other Axis powers have signed....

Just wondering.

:-)

Caradoc
29802.  Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Just a thought....has Germany ACTUALLY signed a document to show they are no longer at war?

I know The Allies and the other Axis powers have signed....

Just wondering.

:-)

Didn't Herman Goering sign the surrended document as the senior representative of the third reich

lostexpectation
30957.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
I don't know about anyone 'deciding', but it was pretty global. It's hard to think of many countries outside South America which weren't involved in some way.

And I guess numerous "countries" South America were involved having bein colonised by many others.

I think it mostly known asthe Great War by those involved in it, not that anywar could be great?

I wonder what the alliance side called it?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next