View previous topic | View next topic

Cuba

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

gruff5
675758.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote

Think you might be right, scottydog. We'll need our own "benign dictator" (at least, benign if you don't argue).

It will also cure our obesity-epidemic. The Cuban people measurably lost weight during the Special Period due to a fall in food calorie intake.

BondiTram
675879.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
Think you might be right, scottydog. We'll need our own "benign dictator" (at least, benign if you don't argue).

So, the search is on for our benign dictator.
Any offers? Vince Cable? errr.....oh shit, I've runout of candidates.

Zebra57
675956.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote

There is the downside to Cuba which still has its political prisoners one who has recently died in prison while on hunger strike.

Last edited by Zebra57 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zebra57
675957.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Benign dictator was an image that Hitler put forward during the rise of the Nazism.

BondiTram
676002.  Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote

Ah! And therein lies the difficulty, sorting out the benign dictators from those that merely put themselves forward as such.
There is a maxim that I remember from my youth that says 'if you find a good, man, woman, Yank, (or other preferred prejudice), shoot him/her, as he/she is bound to go bad'.
A rather over pessimistic view of the world perhaps but how often we are let down by our heroes.

gruff5
676132.  Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
There is the downside to Cuba which still has its political prisoners one who has recently died in prison while on hunger strike.

That was what my reference to "benign, if you don't argue" was about.

If you disagreed with Fidel and looked like you might do something about it, you were in trouble.

Unlike almost every other dictator, though, there is little or no evidence that he took power to line his own pockets.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2