View previous topic | View next topic

Death...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Twopints
28929.  Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote

One theory on the light at the end of the tunnel near death experience is that when someone is close to death and the brain begins to shut down, the neurons in the brain start firing at random.

One part of the retina has many more rods/cones and nerve connections as this is the part of the retina we use to see things in clear focus. There are therefore, more neurons in the visual cortex devoted to this area of vision. So if they start firing at random you would "see" a bright area in the centre surounded by a less bright area. hence the tunnel with a bright light.

Twopints
29110.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote

According to Dr Duncan McDougal the weight of the human soul is 21g.

He found his out by weighing terminally ill patients as they were nearing their end, they apparently lost 21g suddenly at the moment of death.

[url]http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20040202/LI_001.htm [/url]

Jenny
29507.  Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote

There's no such thing as an 'elephants' graveyard' but there is evidence that elephants react very strongly to the death of fellow elephants:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22D16A1C

DELETED
46316.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

Tas
46321.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote

The light at the end of the tunnel is the oncming psychic-dragon coming to burn your soul for all eternity, ye unbelievers!

er...or not.

:-)

Tas

DELETED
46361.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

samivel
46365.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote

I can scarcely complete the day without such a wonder

tetsabb
46370.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Dr Gunther von Hagens, eat your heart out.
Or is that his next trick?

tetsabb
46398.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm or otherwise the following story? I have looked for references high and low on the net but to no avail.

A Hospital Intensive Care Unit had an odd problem. Whoever was in a particular bed in one particular place on Friday afternoon would be dead by the evening (for the sake of the argument, we'll say it was the bed to the right of the window). This went on for weeks, possibly even months.

They checked the patients' conditions, where they came from, which doctors they were under. No correlation could be found. They checked the beds themselves, and swapped them around: and they moved around the various bits of life-support equipment.
But it was always the same -- whoever was by that window was doomed.

And then one Friday a nurse was on duty, trying her hand at working out what was going on.
"Good afternoon," came a cheery voice.
She looked up to see the cleaner....

Who had come to polish the floor....

With his big plug-in rotating polishing machine....

A job he did every Friday afternoon.....

iluphade
46400.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

It's not true. There are many many variations of that story going around, some concerning a turkish cleaning lady etc. etc.

Here is snopes report of it.

djgordy
46415.  Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
This went on for weeks, possibly even months.

It is little bits like the one above that tell you it's not true. If people were dying inexplicably it wouldn't go on for weeks or months.

tetsabb
46515.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had a bad feeling it was an urban myth.

When someone told me that "they" were taking the word 'gullible' out of the dictionaries, I was halfway across to the bookshelf to check before the penny dropped.

Tas
46547.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote

Reminds me of this urban myth:

Under Redundant in the dictionary, it says 'See redundant'.

:-)

Tas

Gray
46555.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Those rotating floor-buffers do get sucked into MRI scanners, though, as we found in post 37492. Chairs, tanks, watches, zimmerframes, terminators...

Here's a load more:
http://www.simplyphysics.com/flying_objects.html

gerontius grumpus
46614.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Probably an urban myth but I have known hospital cleaners just like that.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next