View previous topic | View next topic

Vatican city

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

dr bartolo
863705.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Singapore has as its largest settlement the City of Singapore and smaller towns like Jurong and Punggol. Therefore the City of Singapore is the capital city of a larger territory. The Vatican City is a state in its own right. To distinguish between city and state (which in effect is the same) the state is usually referred to as the Holy See.

QI are the countries like Bolivia and Ivory Coast who have more than one capital city.

don't forget the many islands that surround singapore, like
sentosa (pulau blakang mati)
kusu island,
pulau ubin

suze
863732.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote

On the matter of Brussels, what do you reckon will happen when (and I think it is "when" rather than "if") Belgium divides into two countries?

There seem to be three options:

1. Split Brussels down the middle, with both countries having it as their capital.

2. Base the decision on geography and give Brussels to BelgiŽ-Vlaanderen, even though it is predominantly French speaking.

3. Base the decision on language and have it as an exclaved capital of Belgique-Wallonie. The capital of BelgiŽ-Vlaanderen would presumably then be established at Antwerpen. (NB Brussels and Antwerp are but 28 miles apart. Wien and Bratislava watch out ...)

And what would happen to Deutschsprachige Belgien? Would it be allowed to shuffle quietly off into Luxembourg?

Incidentally, while Brussels is the capital of Vlaams Gewest and of Brussels Hoofdstedelijk / Bruxelles-Capitale, it is not the capital of Wallonie. That is Namur, which does at least have the advantage of being half way between Brussels and LiŤge.

Gooische Vrijgezel
863788.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
On the matter of Brussels, what do you reckon will happen when (and I think it is "when" rather than "if") Belgium divides into two countries?

Answer moved to a country without native zebras.

Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 4 times in total

Zebra57
863837.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Can we move some of these posts to Belgium?

Gooische Vrijgezel
864016.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Can we move some of these posts to Belgium?

No, but I gave it a try. Turns out it's a country after all.

Gooische Vrijgezel
864383.  Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Despite these two pairs of cities, you'll still hear people claim that the two closest capital cities are Bratislava and Vienna.

I assume Buda and Pest don't count. Yet another category unrelated to the Vatican: towns with names of other towns or countries. For example the distance between England (Engeland, Oldebroek) and France (Frankrijk, Harderwijk): about 24.7 kilometres. Unrelated to the Vatican, so not to be continued here. Unless you think you are the Pope.

suze
864419.  Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Gooische Vrijgezel wrote:
I assume Buda and Pest don't count.

No, they don't. The three cities of Buda, ”buda, and Pest became one city - Budapest - in 1873. And two of those places were never capital cities in any case - the capital of Hungary before 1873 was Buda.

GV wrote:
For example the distance between England (Engeland, Oldebroek) and France (Frankrijk, Harderwijk): about 24.7 kilometres.

Now that I like! It's 38 kilometers from Paris, Texas to Bogota, Texas, and only 13 kilometers from Kitchener, Ontario (formerly called Berlin) to Petersburg, Ontario. North America undoubtedly has plenty more comparable examples.

Gooische Vrijgezel
864436.  Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Le Tour de Angleterre. Grand Depart in France (Frankrijk), visiting the Netherlands (Nederland) before finally arriving in England (Engeland) 7 times, in 3 countries.

Possible prologue: DorfstraŖe, Wilsum, Deutschland to the Dorpsstraat, Wilsum, Nederland (most likely not the shortest distance between a shared name of a town in 2 countries).

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2