View previous topic | View next topic

How to use forum code

Page 1 of 1

Gray
28522.  Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote

Here's a brief guide to using the special formatting codes on this talkboard.

Arranged just above the text box where you type your post message in, there are several buttons that offer formatting options. If you're using a decent browser, you can just highlight the word you want and click the appropriate button, which will put the appropriate square-bracket tags around your highlighted text (one to start the style, and one - identical, but with a / - to stop the style).

If you're stuck on an annoying browser, you can still see how the code would work by hovering the mouse pointer over the button in question - a line of text appears below the buttons explaining the syntax you should use.

POSTING LINKS
If you want to post a nice short URL link to another web page (i.e. one that won't stretch the page beyond its proper width), use the following code. This will make a link under the words 'this page', which will go to the appropriate url when clicked:

Click on [url=www.somesite.com/somepage.html]this page[/url] to read...

You can, of course, just put the www link onto the page without the [url]...[/url] tags, but if it's a long link, it does tend to stretch the page. Embedded links are so much nicer.

POSTING IMAGES
This is even simpler:

[img]www.somesite.com/someimage.jpg[/img]

Again, try not to post images that stretch the page until it's 1200 pixels wide - it makes it pretty hard to read.

Quaint Idiot
30567.  Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote

The profile settings allow the use of HTML, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried using <sup>superscript</sup> and <strong>bold</strong>, but it just comes up as text. Am I doing something wrong?

Gray
33147.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote

No you're not - the HTML seems to have been deactivated. I agree, though - superscript and subscript would be useful in our chemistry discussions.

I'll have a look around the code and see what I can see...

Pyriform
53254.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Mono-spaced text (where all the characters are the same width) can be included in a post by highlighting the text and pressing the code button.

This can be used to create tables, by making sure that each row has the same number of characters in a column.

E.g.
Code:
  |<-13 spaces->|             |             |
      column 1     column 2      column 3
      etc 1        etc 2         etc 3

However the width of tables that can be created in this manner does seem to be severely limited before phpBB makes it take a new line (and the preview doesn't let you know it is going to do this).

dsp128
53903.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote

Quaint Idiot wrote:
The profile settings allow the use of HTML, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried using <sup>superscript</sup> and <strong>bold</strong>, but it just comes up as text. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe... you need to use square brackets [example] on message boards like this rather than standard html tags <example> and not all are supported, i.e. why <sup> or even [sup] isn't working? Was this resolved ?

dsp128
53906.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote

I also meant to mention...
http://www.photobucket.com

Photobucket is a free hosting site specifically aimed at forum users who want to link to graphic files.

Upload your photos etc. to your own photobucket area and then link them so they are displayed anywhere (i.e. QI) without usual IP restrictions. Each image you upload includes a self-generated link back to the image, so you can copy it and paste it here in a post.

You can join Photobucket for free. There might be a limit on image size but it's ideal for linking avatars, banners or small images in forums.

Page 1 of 1