View previous topic | View next topic

Dragons!

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

grizzly
42860.  Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

OK well i thought you meant by a purely internal use (perhaps using the toxin to aid digestion in the stomach etc). Of course the reason that the venom can be digested by a snake after killing its prey is that the acidic conditions in the stomach destroy the venom (hence no use to aid digestion once eaten). I think the assumption was made that the venom isn't being used by some lizards to kill its prey because other methods are used and that we were looking for a different use for the venom that doesn't involve it being injected into the prey before it is eaten.

The second point is probably a little confused in that respect so apologies for that. You are right to point out that the toxins are readily ingested by snakes anyway. However, the toxins are destroyed when the prey is eaten so wouldn't be of use unless injected into the prey before being eaten.

I must have got myself a little confused in the process of writing that.

monkbarns
53106.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by monkbarns on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevino7
53107.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote

Are there any cultures in which Dragons were beings of respect rather then fear?

Celebaelin
53111.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote

China and Bhutan

oh, and Wales

gerontius grumpus
53175.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Felin foel Double Dragon mmmmmm....

Celebaelin
53176.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Jenny
53257.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Oooh lovely picture Celebaelin- what's that from?

Celebaelin
53262.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Google Image "Double Dragon"

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=double+dragon&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=40&sa=N

then

http://7parabian.com/Images/dragon/Base/dbldragbase.JPG

Jenny
53266.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Gorgeous.

gerontius grumpus
53365.  Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:48 am Reply with quote

I haven't seen that one on the beermats.

Celebaelin
53378.  Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

Probably not flashy enough.

Caradoc
53825.  Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Felin foel Double Dragon mmmmmm....

Felinfoel the first canned beer in Europe.

PYRO73
83192.  Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Even though I am only 16 I believe that I have collected enough evidence to prove, in theory, that dragons could have existed. Firstly as most people will tell you that dragons cannot fly, this is only the half truth because from many drawings and sketches of dragons , the wings are far too small for them to lift the dragons off the ground. The only way in which this could be possible is if the dragons had an abundant element such as hydrogen, which is lighter than air. This would also clear the whole dragon fire issue.

The facts about dragons breathing fire are shaky but from what I have read there would have to be a flammable gas involved. But it is never as simple as that. This gas would have to be very light such as hydrogen or a mixture between hydrogen and helium, this would explain flight. But the sources of the gas would be hard to determine as many people know gases like hydrogen are very VERY combustible, so when you ignite some it would all go up. So from this I would have to believe that dragons would have to have a second set of lungs especially designed to hold the hydrogen, or a constant chemical reaction going on in the stomach area, or any organs that we are not sure about.

Now to the theories about dragons being immortal unless killed, I believe that these are true but the dragons would have to undergo a certain type of hibernation whether it be the winter or 2-3 hundred years, in which time they could have been killed by hunters or natural causes eg earthquakes, avalanches etc. But we would have to know the whereabouts of a dragon's nesting area because some people would say they live near volcanoes because they like it hot, other might say the live in water but we don't know.

Now we come to my favourite bit of knowledge which is dragons' blood. Now as many, how do I put this politely?, films such as Harry Potter will tell you that dragons' blood is magical and it will give you magic powers like enhanced strength, longer life or increased sexual magnetism, I have to say this is b*****ks because why would blood do anything like that? All blood is haemoglobin(red blood cells), leukocytes(white blood cells), platelets and plasma. From all animals from fleas to blue whales it's all the same, so why would dragons be any different? mmmmm?

samivel
83204.  Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote

PYRO73 wrote:
Now to the theories about dragons being immortal unless killed

You could say all living things are immortal unless they die.

grizzly
83208.  Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote

Dieing and being killed are different though...

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next