View previous topic | View next topic

Italy

Page 1 of 1

Frances
123462.  Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote

May I recommend a restaurant in Firenze; La Spada, in via della Spada, 62R. It's almost opposite the restaurant Buca Mario, highly recommended by a couple of guide books. It doesn't have as many dishes, but those it has are excellent - and half the price of Buca Mario's. The service is quicker and friendlier, too.

dr.bob
123470.  Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote

And while you're wandering around the city, be sure and drop into "Perche' No" gelateria on via dei Tavolini. Sells possibly the best gelati in Firenze (which is saying something).

Other interesting facts about Italy:

The nation state of Italy only achieved independence in 1871, with some regions (Friuli Venezia Giulia and Trentino) not actually becoming part of the state until after the first world war.

The first king of Italy was Vittorio Emanuele II. Despite being the first king of a new country, he was previously ruler of the kingdom of Savoy (an area covering modern-day Piemonte and parts of southern France) and was the son of Vittorio Emanuele I of that kingdom. When he was invited to become king of the newly formed Italian state, he decided to keep his ordinal number in an effort to suggest dynastic continuity. This proved somewhat unpopular with southern Italians since they saw it as a sign of a piemontese take-over of their land.

An important figure in the struggle for Italian independence was Giuseppe Garibaldi. As well as being honoured by having a biscuit named after him, he is also known as the "Hero of the Two Worlds". This is due to the fact that, before leading the successful fight for Italian independance, he had a practice run in South America where he was an important figure in the fight for the independence of Uruguay.

entersoundman
213133.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote

AND

If you are ever in Milan, I recommend popping into "Il Salatto" in La Galleria, near the Duomo.

It's Coffees and Hot Chocolates are a delight! (take it from me, a half-italian!)

dr.bob
213285.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote

Which half? Top or bottom? :)

Tas
213291.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote

Could be front or back....

:-)

Tas

Sebastian flyte
256380.  Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

Nicely done up Palace of Savoy. :)

http://www.corrieretandem.com/viewstory.php?storyid=7518

dr bartolo
747733.  Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote

as a QI note, italy has 16 diffrent types of playing card used in one country.....
makes playing difficult......

Emelie Samuelsson
875080.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything quite interesting about Rome? ;)

Zebra57
875164.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote

In 1861 the first capital of the newly unified Italy was Turin. In 1865 the capital moved to Florence. Rome became the capital in 1871.

Briefly during 1944 the Italian capital moved to Salerno.

Page 1 of 1