View previous topic | View next topic

Iceland

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

dengsinn
243419.  Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Just to clarify something here. I decided what I had written here some months ago, was not that interesting. But what is interesting is that the penis museum is no longer in Reykjavik. But if you want to learn more about it check the website: http://www.phallus.is

dengsinn

Last edited by dengsinn on Sun May 18, 2008 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
244239.  Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote

I hear they also have a penis museum over there.

But not in Reykjavik! Oh no!

Rudolph Hucker
244278.  Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

Iceland?
Fabulous place for a holiday.
I hear they've just opened a new one at Watford.

Jenny
244558.  Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Nah - they've had one there for years. It's opposite the small Sainsbury's in the town centre.

Lumpo31
245742.  Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote

I went to Eltham Iceland last week. Very scary place, both Iceland *and* Eltham (I suppose that's places then, isn't it).

amazeen
250233.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote

The Penis museum is in Reykjavik

amazeen
250236.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, perhaps it has moved, but it was in Reykjavik.

Abokasee
474648.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Despite having no army and and 2062.7 miles (capital - capital distances, Moscow-Reykjavik) from Russia, it is still a member of NATO

misterchris
474651.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Abokasee wrote:
Despite having no army and and 2062.7 miles (capital - capital distances, Moscow-Reykjavik) from Russia, it is still a member of NATO

Made me look up this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Iceland

Sadurian Mike
474657.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote

It is a vital part of NATO because it controls the very important GIUK Gap, the relatively narrow stretch of water between Greenland, Iceland and the UK through which the Soviet Atlantic fleet and submarines would have had to travel to threaten convoys from the US to Europe.

As well as being an important air base, it also houses control centres for the underwater sonar devices scattered along the seabed in that area, and which are designed to detect vessels moving through.

In event of war, it would be used to base foreign (probably US) military troops and aircraft but would be unlikely to contribute its own military forces (because they are only fishery protection vessels) unless directly attacked.

During WW2, Iceland based long range maritime patrol aircraft which acted to protect the Atlantic convoys in the same way as modern planners expected NATO forces to do in the event of a war with the Soviet Union.

misterchris
474678.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote

The Cod Wars

Look at the strengths of the two navies.
2 large patrol vessels against 22 destroyers.

Sadurian Mike
474695.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, but the Icelandic fishermen were Vikings so it all balances.

suze
474700.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Mike, you and I have been to Iceland (metaphorically) before. We discovered that while the armed forces of Iceland are restricted to the coast guard and the police, the Icelandic coast guard and police have seen service in Afghanistan and Iraq!

Sadurian Mike wrote:
It would be used to base foreign (probably US) military troops and aircraft

I'm not so sure about this though. American / Icelandic relations have gotten a bit strained in recent years; that's mainly to do with wrangling over defence matters, although Iceland's granting of citizenship to Bobby Fischer really didn't help either. But in any case, the F-15s that were for many years stationed at Keflavík International Airport aren't there any more - and if Iceland chose to invite a foreign power to base airplanes in the country, right now it would more likely be Canada.

Sadurian Mike
474718.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Very true, suze (the US upsetting a foreign power, whatever next).

The old NATO plans were essentially Cold War so a lot has changed. The likelihood of a Soviet "surge" is now minimal as a large part of their submarine fleet is unusable thanks to a lack of maintenance, and the chances of a face-to-face NATO-WarPac conflict in Europe are highly unlikely.

Canada would be the logical choice for stationing in Iceland, but the relatively small size of her military might have meant sending aircraft and troops to Iceland would have severely stretched her elsewhere.

AnneB
474825.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Rudolph Hucker wrote:
Iceland?
Fabulous place for a holiday.
I hear they've just opened a new one at Watford.

A new Iceland?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next