View previous topic | View next topic

VATICAN CITY

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

grizzly
100244.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Yes it's that old nugget again. The smallest country in the world as far as I am aware by square km.

Of course there are other places that could steal the title if they were recognised by enough countries (I note a story at some point about a man who brought an old sea fortress in the North Sea (I think) that was illegally built in international waters and has now declared independence. It has been recognised by some countries and I may be right in saying that is has an official at the UN, this does require further investigation).

samivel
100256.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Ah, Sealand. There's a thread on this somewhere.

Here it is:

post 31056

And more stuff, from Wiki.

smiley_face
105727.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote

The Vatican is not in fact the smallest country by population, however. That honour goes to the Pitcairn Islands in the Pacific (a British Colony apparently) with a population of 67.

grizzly
105742.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
a British Colony apparently

and therefore not a country...

Gray
105787.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote

The Vatican has the most convicted criminals per capita.

grizzly
105807.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote

BTW if you are accepting the dependencies as countries then the Pitcairn Islands are certainly not the smallest by population.

The Coral Sea Islands (Australia), Clipperton Islands (France) or one of 8 US dependencies all have 0 inhabitants and have the same legal status of the Pitcairn Islands (and these are just the ones in the Pacific).

grizzly
105809.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote

That's rather amusing Gray. You got a source on it?

smiley_face
105811.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
The Vatican has the most convicted criminals per capita.

I'm guessing most of those are paedophiles.

Oops, did I say that out loud?!

Edit: Yes, alright Grizzly, take yet another 10 points from me then!

Gray
105885.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote

This article mentions a 133% per-capita crime rate (as only 500 people actually live there, but they get millions of visitors whose pockets are easily picked).

I liked this sentence:
Quote:
taken statistically, the figures paint a picture of rampant criminality in the Holy See

Also, the admittedly hardly disinterested European Institute of Protestant Studies. :-D

I'll try to source the statistics themselves...

samivel
106580.  Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Is the Vatican the only country in the world with Latin as an official language?

cabs
106674.  Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Is the Vatican the only country in the world with Latin as an official language?

Not if you believe Dan Quayle....

suze
106681.  Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Indeed cabs, but who ever did?

The actual answer to the question is yes, more or less.

Latin is the de facto official language of the Vatican City - the nearest it has to a constitution is the Lateran Treaty of 1929 which does not mention the matter, so there isn't an official language proper. (Incidentally, the USA doesn't actually have an official language either, although some of the states do.) However, if you call the Vatican they answer the phone in Italian.

No other country has Latin as an official language.

cabs
106695.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Indeed cabs, but who ever did?

The actual answer to the question is yes, more or less.

Latin is the de facto official language of the Vatican City - the nearest it has to a constitution is the Lateran Treaty of 1929 which does not mention the matter, so there isn't an official language proper. (Incidentally, the USA doesn't actually have an official language either, although some of the states do.) However, if you call the Vatican they answer the phone in Italian.

No other country has Latin as an official language.

I suppose telephone Latin is still in its infancy.

Flash
106700.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the Vatican, but just to set the record straight:

Quote:
In April 1989, Representative Claudine Schneider of Rhode Island told a gathering of Republicans that she had recently attended an event at the Belgian embassy, where Vice-President Quayle complimented her on her command of French. Then, Schneider said, the Vice-President added: "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people." Ms. Schneider concluded by admitting that the story was merely a joke, but not all the newspapers reported it that way. Several publications, either through carelessness or a desire not to let the truth get in the way of a good story, reported the story as true. The culprits included such venerable publications as Newsday, the Chicago Tribune, Newsweek, and Time. The fabricated misquote took hold because it sounded exactly like something Dan Quayle (or, more accurately, the Dan Quayle of public perception) would say, and no amount of correction could dislodge it from the public vocabulary.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/quayle.htm

Hmmm, maybe a General Ignorance question there ...

grizzly
106731.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote

Perhaps for the US episode.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next