View previous topic | View next topic

Dominican Republic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jeffrey Gonell
652417.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote

The Dominican Republic is located on the Island which is internationally known as "La Hispaniola". La Hispaniola is the only Island in the world to be split into two different countries and ethnicities. The Dominican Republic shares the borders of this Island with the country of Haiti, and its located in the Caribbean region of the world near the Islands of Cuba, Puerto Rico and Jamaica. The Dominican Republic is the second largest country in the Caribbean after Cuba.

The Dominican Republic was the first country discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 making it the first European settlement in the Americas.
Santo Domingo is the nations capital and its where the first University of the Americas was built. Santo Domingo was Spain's first Capital in the "New World" constructing the first cathedral in the Americas .

After being ruled by the Spaniards for three centuries(including stints from the French), the Dominican Republic gained its Independence in 1821 only to be quickly taken over by Haiti, its neighbor. It was then able to regain its independence in 1844 only to be taken over by Spain once again. It then was colonized by the U.S.A. from 1916 to 1924. Native military dictatorship then ruled the Dominican Republic until the civil war of 1965 took place which ended with Intervention by the United States.

The Dominican Republic is known for its beautiful beaches and vast agriculture. The fresh lands within this country holds the magnificent treasures of natural beauty. From its farmland to its exotic rivers deep within its jungles, the Dominican Republic houses a growing civilization which is advancing daily.

The Dominican Republic currently has twenty eight political parties, thirty one provinces and an estimated average of ten million inhabitants. Its Length is 48,442 km and its highest peak is 10,160 ft above sea level.

The Dominican Republic is also known for being the birthplace of "Bachata"and "Merengue", one of the most popular latin musical genres in the world. "Brugal" is a famous rum beverage popular in Latin America, manufactured and distributed in the Dominican Republic. In sports, the best known major league baseball players mostly originate from this Majestic Island, an Island filled with history and culture.

Jenny
652487.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffrey! Welcome to QI :-)

bobwilson
652490.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
La Hispaniola is the only Island in the world to be split into two different countries and ethnicities

Cyprus?

suze
652550.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote

Two ethnicities certainly - but that alone is by no means unique - and de facto two countries. But since the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is not recognized by any country except Turkey, I think it's possible to argue that it's only one country.

Another example though would be the Caribbean island of St-Martin / Sint Maarten. Part of that island falls within the Netherlands Antilles, which is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands; the rest falls within the Republic of France.

As a result, there is a land border between France and the Netherlands, a thing which many people will deny if they look at a map of Europe. This fact has been known to come up in quizzes!

That land border is 10.2 kilometers in length, and it's also a border of the EU - French St-Martin is construed as within the EU, while Dutch Sint Maarten isn't. Despite which, it's marked on the ground only by signs - there are no border posts.

Jeffrey Gonell
652691.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Two ethnicities certainly - but that alone is by no means unique - and de facto two countries. But since the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is not recognized by any country except Turkey, I think it's possible to argue that it's only one country.

No, it is not safe to argue that its only one country. If you look up Haiti and the Dominican Republic, you will see that they are two different races, ethnicities and countries. And yes it is "Unique" for no other Island in the world homes two different established and governing cultures. Look it up in google and you will broadly see that the Island is split into two regions. You cant miss the Border Lines. Apart from being two different cultures, these two countries have different political systems and different ways of government.

Haitians are similar to Jamaicans and Trinidadians emerging from African roots while Dominicans are of Latin and Taino decent as are the people of Puerto Rico and Cuba. This is not to say that Dominicans do not have African roots, they do, but are identified by their Latin origins. I know this is all fact because I currently live in the Dominican Republic. I was born in New York City to Dominican parents. Politically I am an American(Which is probably not a smart thing to say these days)
because I was born and raised out there, but my whole entire family are Dominican.

My Grandfather's grand father (from my father's side) was a french man who migrated to Haiti from Europe. He then made his way to the Dominican Republic and had many children. That is the reason for my non-hispanic last name "Gonell".

Jeffrey Gonell
652692.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Thanks Jeffrey! Welcome to QI :-)

Thank you for the warm welcome. Have a blessed New Year.

Spud McLaren
652693.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Actually, Jeffrey, I think suze was saying that you could argue that Cyprus is one country, not La Hispaniola.

Welcome, by the way!

Jeffrey Gonell
652694.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
La Hispaniola is the only Island in the world to be split into two different countries and ethnicities

Cyprus?

Cyprus had its Northern portion conquered by the Turkish, while the Native inhabitants of Cyprus are of Greek decent I believe, I'm not sure. Yes this country is split into two different factions but you have to look into the fact that Turkey is not Native to this land, they occupied their territory by force therefore not an Ethnic Native to the Island. There are many examples of this through out history, but it is not the same Unique situation as in the Island of La Hispanola where two different established and governing Native Cultures share the Island.

Jeffrey Gonell
652695.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Another example though would be the Caribbean island of St-Martin / Sint Maarten. Part of that island falls within the Netherlands Antilles, which is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands; the rest falls within the Republic of France.

St-Martin is split yes, but both sides are of the same Native Culture and Ethnicity. Thanks alot for your inquiry though, Have a Happy New Year!

Jeffrey Gonell
652696.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Actually, Jeffrey, I think suze was saying that you could argue that Cyprus is one country, not La Hispaniola.

Welcome, by the way!

Thanks for your warm welcome, happy new year. Yes I caught on to that afterwards and replied about Cyprus. Cyprus is split into two yes that is correct, but the split occurred due to Turkey's occupation of the Islands northern portion, but Turkey is not Native to the Island. Making the situation in Cyprus totally Different from the one on La Hispanola. That just my case.
I love the inquiries though. If I can be proven wrong than that would be a delight. I wish to learn furthermore and be proven wrong if my inquiries or of an incorrect decent. Thank you all for your opinions.

suze
652941.  Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffrey. I've just looked up the demographic statistics, and I certainly hadn't realised quite how different they are.

According to the CIA, the Dominican Republic is 73% mixed ethnicity, 16% white, and 11% black. Contrast with Haiti which is 95% black.

To find such utterly different demographics at two ends of one island is indeed remarkable, and I certainly can't immediately think of any other island which shows such a big difference.

bobwilson
653127.  Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Cyprus had its Northern portion conquered by the Turkish

Not really the place for this but .......

the Turks (and indeed the Turkish Cypriots) would say that the northern portion of Cyprus was the subject of a protectorate. Turkey didn't conquer it - although Turkish troops were used.

Jeffrey Gonell
653191.  Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
Cyprus had its Northern portion conquered by the Turkish

Not really the place for this but .......

the Turks (and indeed the Turkish Cypriots) would say that the northern portion of Cyprus was the subject of a protectorate. Turkey didn't conquer it - although Turkish troops were used.

Come think of it, it is similar to the situation in the Island "La Hispanola". Except that Turkey is not Native to the Island. But please tell me, what was the whole reason for this "Protectorate"? And thank you so much for the inquiry. Blessings to all!

Zebra57
654303.  Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote

To add to the argument although not as extreme as Hispanola (or Santo Domingo) the island of Timor has a divided profile. The west is part of Indonesia and has a history of links with the other former Dutch East Indies whereas East Timor was a Portuguese colony with stronger economic and cultural links with Goa and Macao. It also has distinct language, religious differences and ethnic profiles.

orangeslices
883490.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:

Cyprus?

what they mean is that it is the only island slit into two countries who's territory is confined to the island. In most, if not all, of the other divided islands at least one of the countries who share it also posses a huge amount of land elsewhere, Haiti and the Dominican Republic do not.

Last edited by orangeslices on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next