View previous topic | View next topic

name dictates future/job?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

personguy
651045.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote

hi all. first post here. long time q.i. fan/addict.
as a brief aside once, fry mentioned the word that describes "growing up to have a job related to your name" .. in so many words. i don't remember the example he gave, but it would be like the batman character Dr. Friese (pronounced "freeze") being a cryonics expert. or if someone named phil strummer grew up to be a backup guitarist.
i'm trying to find that word.
i've done some good google trawling, even asked on answers.yahoo, but the only thing i've found so far is "eponym," which is the reverse, or the inverse, of what i'm looking for.

wish i could remember which episode of q.i. this came up in!

suze
651047.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote

The term is nominative determinism, and means precisely what you suggest.

personguy
651048.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote

aha! that sounds familiar. thanks a mil!

(any chance you remember in which episode fry mentions this?)

suze
651050.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote

Season C, Episode 8. Transcript here.

personguy
651266.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote

amazing! thanks! (was also looking for show transcripts)

swot
651393.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of nominative determinism...

Ion Zone
651462.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I've always wondered if Vanilla Fudge (Probably misspelled) was the real name of that lady on Radio 2. Not nominative determinism, as such, either a nickname or really thoughtless parents!

suze
651486.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Vanilla Fudge was (and, amazingly, still is) an American rock band best known for an excruciating and interminable cover version of You keep me hangin' on.

Fenella Fudge is the woman to whom you refer. It is in fact her real name, although it's her married name - she spent her childhood as Fenella Hadingham.

ali
651496.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Vanilla Fudge was (and, amazingly, still is) an American rock band best known for an excruciating and interminable cover version of You keep me hangin' on.

It only seems interminable :)

personguy
651505.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote

presumably in reference to Sue Ion and her work. very nice :)

monzac
651511.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote

There's also aptronym, with some examples, here and here.

djgordy
651521.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

I like the Vanilla Fudge. Their "Rock'n'Roll" album especially is a classic.

Anyway, this story doesn't quite count as nominative determinism but comes pretty close.

Edgar Allen Poe wrote only one novel; "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket " (1838) In that, the boat capsizes and the survivors are cast adrift. Eventually, it is decided that one of the people must be sacrificed and eaten in order to save the rest. The name of the victim was Richard Parker, the cabin boy.

In 1884, a sailing ship called the Mignonette capsized and sank in the Atlantic. The survivors were cast adrift in a life boat and, after some days at sea, it was decided that one of the remaining crew must be sacrificed and eaten in order to save the others. The one chosen was a deck hand who had drunk sea water and become delirious. His name was Richard Parker.

http://www.psychics.co.uk/coincidences/forteantimes.html

Ion Zone
651526.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote

I heard of that, he did a stage show, they called it the 'custom\tradition of the sea', I think.

Bondee
651695.  Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Fenella Fudge is the woman to whom you refer. It is in fact her real name, although it's her married name - she spent her childhood as Fenella Hadingham.

Thanks suze. We've often wondered about that when we hear her on the radio at work.

One of the newsreaders on Absolute Radio also has an unusal name... Tumshie Smillie.

According to Urban Dictionary, tumshie is a Scottish term for turnip. I wonder if her parents were farmers?

swot
652128.  Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote

personguy wrote:
presumably in reference to Sue Ion and her work. very nice :)

indeed :) it made me giggle

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next