Pip Maker in a Jam Factory

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Janet H
650471.  Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote

Spark maker for the grinding machine.

'yorz
650491.  Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote

Holy Land Air tin-fillers (do exist, actually).

RLDavies
650518.  Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote

Kluge maker, from the classic shaggy-dog story:
Quote:
On being drafted into the navy, Murgatroyd gave his profession as "kluge maker". Not wanting to seem ignorant, the clerk simply wrote this down. Whenever Murgatroyd was asked what he was doing, he said he was making a kluge, and actually he was one of the world's best kluge makers. Not wanting to seem ignorant, his superiors kept giving him commendations and promotions, until he reached the dizzy heights of commodore.

One day the admiral came to inspect the ship. When Murgatroyd explained he was a kluge maker, the admiral asked him what a kluge was -- the first person ever to do so. Murgatroyd said it was hard to explain, but he would make one so the admiral could see what it was. After a couple of days, he returned with a complex object.

"Interesting," said the admiral, "but what does it do?" In reply, Murgatroyd dropped it over the side of the ship. As the thing sank, it went "kluge".

The word "kludge", meaning a bodged-up quick and dirty solution, comes from this story (with a minor change of pronunciation).

MatC
650706.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote

The idea of wooden pips does seem hard to believe - and I must say I remain a little sceptical - but the sources we assembled for it were several, and apparently solid. Any further researches on the matter would be very welcome, though; please post anything you find here.

(Incidentally,
Quote:
the posters involved (e.g. suze, Flash, egg-shaped) are all reliable sources in themselves!

I donít think any of us elves would claim to be reliable sources in and of ourselves; we would not claim any kind of authority, other than that of our sources).

Re the Mythconceptions column in Fortean Times: for some months I didnít have enough time, due mainly to QI duties, to research it, and so it lapsed. But Iím glad to say it is now running in the magazine once again, illustrated as ever by QI Annual favourite, Hunt Emerson.

bemahan
650711.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
(Incidentally,
Quote:
the posters involved (e.g. suze, Flash, egg-shaped) are all reliable sources in themselves!

I donít think any of us elves would claim to be reliable sources in and of ourselves; we would not claim any kind of authority, other than that of our sources).

Sloppy wording on my part really. I meant that there are certain posters on here in whom I have 99.99% faith in the research they do.

MatC
650715.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote

eeyoresmum wrote:
Holy Land Air tin-fillers (do exist, actually).

Please tell us more ...

'yorz
650756.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote

Well, in Palestine/Israel one can/could buy tins with Holy Land Air.

Quote:
For years, there was a company selling "air from the holy land" to tourists (in a sealed can like a sardine tin). A television station checked and reported that the company was located next to the Tel Aviv city dump (so the air was hardly even very fresh, let alone holy).
Posted by Jonathan Golan in Jerusalem, Israel on Mon Aug 30, 2004 at 08:57 AM

My brother and I bought many of them as souvenirs, just for a laugh, as well as little sachets with Holy Land Soil, or Mount Olive Soil.
Hm - if all those thousands of sachets indeed contained what it said on the label, there would be a massive Olive Crater instead.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2