View previous topic | View next topic

Holland

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

djgordy
656890.  Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

The word pence was never used - the suffix pence was used. sixpence, tuppence, thruppence, fourpence. But never pence alone.

The etymological dictionary gives "pence" as going back to 1393.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=pence&searchmode=none

I would say that, generally, prior to decimalisation, "pennies" was used to denote a plurality of penny coins and pence was used to denote a plurality of value.

The Great Prickly of Pear
658696.  Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Jaster wrote:
In Dutch - Nederland is the country
Nederlands are the low counties as you described

It's actually "de Nederlanden". You can tell because of the official name of the entire kingdom (including Aruba and the Dutch Antilles, which don't fall under Dutch government), Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (der is archaic, it means "of the", just like in German) :)

Stefan Linnemann
758710.  Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I thought it was that place you get to by heading for the third star to the right and then proceding rectilinearly until morning...

Actually I've always liked holland. I once commented to some of my dutch pals that it was embarrassing how well most dutch people spoke english, german and french. I was told this was simply because they recognised years ago that no one else would ever bother to learn dutch!

Nice people.

PDR

Why, thank you.

However, However, I think our mastery of languages stems rather from:
1. Having been ruled by every major European country, except the UK.
2. A keen awareness, that if you trade with a country and speak its language and know its culture, you're much more likely to get a profitable deal. (Or indeed, deal at all: Japan).

Mazur.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2