View previous topic | View next topic

Web hosting in the UK

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

jtwyler
516513.  Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Let's assume I liked this forum so much that I was considering a similar one in the UK with all the bells and whistles:

Should I set up my own hard- and software and at what cost?

Or would it be simpler, better, more practical to rent a full hosting package with direct access and whom would you recommend?

Or do you own, manage, work or know someone in a company that could provide all this in a most reliable way?

jtwyler
517060.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote

If it's not a proper QI topic it = not watched a lot = not replied to continuously, it immediately disappears from the radar so no one's aware of it although it clearly is about the forum and would point to a vital issue.

Hm.

Jenny
517065.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote

Or alternatively not enough people know anything about it worth adding to the thread!

Neotenic
517066.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I have no idea whatsoever how the boards work.

They do.

That's enough for me.

And, personally, I think the space constraints we do have provide an outstanding reason to purge the dross from time to time.

barbados
517071.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote

The problem is the full shell access and access to the crontab at a reasonable price, as I mentioned in the previous thread

jtwyler
517109.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Statistically, seen that the forum has more than 11000 members and X visitors, there should be at least a few dozen people somehow closely linked to IT hosting.

I was thinking that one or two mods could attach a temporary sig that reads something like

or insert the concerned mod's PM or start a specific board-administration approved thread so that people become aware and are reminded of the situation regularly. (I don't do it because I don't qualify neither by status nor seniority.)

People take this forum for granted but people also took RBS for granted which is why I'd really like to see support before the doodah hits the server hardware fan unexpectedly. It's not as if one was asking for a ton of money.

This forum has carried me through a nasty sick leave and I'd hate to see it run into problems with thousands standing by unaware.

---

Never leave your friends in a sad mood so in case you are feeling sick too, I must insist on this cure:

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=Y_4586lq26E&feature=related

it's in easily understood German. Trust me, it's worth it.

jtwyler
517110.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I feel I better explain: I love this audio but it has very low-figure views on youtube because there are a ton of German sites that carry it so it gets very few visitors on youtube and it's not known outside Germany; a sudden jump in stats would give a crude but possibly interesting insight into QI's impact, also if members then spread the link to their non-board friends, me assuming they find it worth spreading of course. And get this, it has jumped _significantly_ in the last 24 hours.

jtwyler
517115.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote

or simply hit on these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lloyd_(writer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

all perfectly respectable and highly likeable characters and apparently great fans of the show. My thinking is, if I was giving a one-time ten Euros, ok, make it only one single Euro, would they be willing to donate the same proportion of their monthly income? "Make that daily income and we're talking." Yep, they could donate anonymously. After all, they'd not only be contributing to a national treasure but also be furthering the cause of da Vinci's great-great-great whatever you Brits calls your offspring. Nothing opens purses quicker than the smell of close-by genius. (see http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15054&highlight= for genealogical poof.)

Else we send Sarkozy over.

JUST KIDDING (except for the Sarko bit)!

suze
517135.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote

I think you may find that the second named of those three people has already invested a certain amount of time and money in this website ...

jtwyler
517242.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I think you may find that the second named of those three people has already invested a certain amount of time and money in this website ...

<ggg> go for seconds.

But yes, it's obvious that he did, nice chap that he must be, still, that leaves the other two. <duck>

MinervaMoon
517264.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote

I know you had the best intentions, jtwyler, but that really made me laugh. Perhaps this link will clarify things. I must be excused to clean myself up now.

jtwyler
517270.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
I know you had the best intentions, jtwyler, but that really made me laugh. Perhaps this link will clarify things. I must be excused to clean myself up now.

<whispering> Thanks and in turn I let you in into my little secret: I know who he is. It's why I put him there. I thought it was funny. I just prayed that the intelligent people here would laugh. You laughed so you're proof it worked. My second little secret: I've noticed this week that many Brits have the same problem with continental humour as many Continentals have with Brits'. But keep this under your hat, I enjoy it it too much, this feeling of mirroring a Cleese in Bavaria <g>

barbados
517275.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote

You need to excuse people here jt. Unless a "joke" is placed firmly in the jokes thread on General Banter, then it's a serious point. And not to be giggled at ;)

MinervaMoon
517278.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote

Unless a "joke" is only a joke retroactively.
I'm not convinced.

barbados
517281.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote

You don't think that a fan of the show would know? Or even someone who didn't know much about the show would be able to read the Wiki page they have linked to?

I think it's a case of some not getting the joke because it was in the wrong place. Or maybe you think the poster is stupid and can't read?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next