View previous topic | View next topic

Series G, Episode 2: Ganimals

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

djgordy
646367.  Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Take 5 points off us.

You're already into minus figures on this episode!

trish
649437.  Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote

I believe it was in this episode that Stephen asked how many animals were loaded onto the ark. Alan said two and was marked wrong because Stephen wanted the answer of seven pairs. however, Alan was still correct because the bible also says that two of the animals were led into the ark. gotta love the bible editors. :)

soup
649453.  Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote

trish wrote:
I believe it was in this episode that Stephen asked how many animals were loaded onto the ark. Alan said two and was marked wrong because Stephen wanted the answer of seven pairs. however, Alan was still correct because the bible also says that two of the animals were led into the ark. gotta love the bible editors. :)

The point was made that two parts of the bible differed (imagine that, parts of the Bible that are not consistent). One saying 'clean' animals by 7 rest by 2 and in another part it was all animals by 2. I would say Alan was 'marked' as wrong because he said "two" not "parts of the bible say two others say seven and two". 'Marking' him wrong also allowed Steven to discuss the point, and fill x minutes of the show.

bobwilson
649456.  Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote

It doesn't say seven pairs - it says seven. I assume the odd one is the homosexual rights activist

CB27
649472.  Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote

Actually, even the numbers 7 and 2 may themselves be wrong according to some scholars.

The first passage: "Every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

Some argue that this means 7 pairs of clean animals and 2 pairs of unclean animals, this to ensure some breeding among offspring.

The latter passage: "Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah."

This, some argue, confirms that the first passage spoke about pairs of animals and is therefore not contradictory.

Of course we have to remember that this was a story used to eplain various events people had to deal with (floods, diets, etc), so it was always going to be somewhat vague and open to interpretation.

MatC
654467.  Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote

This message comes from Dr Peter C Barnard, Director of Science, The Royal Entomological Society:

Quote:
On seeing last night’s Q.I. programme about animals [7 December], my antennae quivered with indignation when I heard Stephen Fry assert that there are no insects living in the sea. Not so! Several groups of insects live entirely in the intertidal zone, some of which travel far out to sea. There are over 60 species of bugs living in this environment, together with many beetles and other groups. Admittedly insects have not yet taken over the oceans in the way that they dominate most terrestrial habitats, but give them time!
There is in fact a substantial book on “Marine Insects” by Lanna Cheng (1976).

Many thanks, Peter.

MinervaMoon
745685.  Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote

Am I inventing bizarre facts and attributing them to QI, or was there discussion in this episode (possibly cut) about giraffe semen wafting across zoos? I thought I remembered Stephen saying something traumatizing about gossamer strands floating through the air, but maybe it was all a dream. I had occasion today to try to discuss this with a zookeeper friend -- who had never experienced the phenomenon -- but can't seem to find the reference.

Flash
745690.  Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote

You're right, he did say that. I don't know where he got it from, though - it wasn't in his notes.

PDR
745758.  Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

Of course we have to remember that this was a story used to eplain various events people had to deal with (floods, diets, etc), so it was always going to be somewhat vague and open to interpretation.

Indeed. It is only subsequent self-appointed "scholars" who have ruled that processed coffee beans, extract of cocao beans, tomato ketchup and lemonade don't qualify as part of the "fiver a day" fruit & veg thing.

PDR

eggshaped
745768.  Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote

He got it from me. I guess probably in a warm-up question.

I got it from an interview with a zoo-keeper at San Fran Zoo:

Quote:
Giraffes are so tall sometimes it's hard for them to have sex. They have to penetrate their partner while they balance on their hind legs. If he misses, he still ejaculates. And he misses quite often, Aikin said.

"If it's a windy day these strands of semen waft across the zoo. It's really remarkable to see," he said.

http://www.journalism.sfsu.edu/www/pubs/gater/spring96/feb13/12.html

MinervaMoon
745830.  Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Flash and egg. The image was so vivid that I'd thought I'd heard the anecdote more than once, but evidently not.

tetsabb
747161.  Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote

I guess that the moral of that story is that you should not go to the zoo on a windy day, unless wearing a hat, and certainly do not encourage boy giraffes into acts of lewd carnality on such days.

Neotenic
747168.  Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that the moral of that story is that you should not go to the zoo on a windy day, unless wearing a hat,

...and don't wave your candy floss around with abandon on such days.

tetsabb
747174.  Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
I guess that the moral of that story is that you should not go to the zoo on a windy day, unless wearing a hat,

...and don't wave your candy floss around with abandon on such days.

.. and almost certainly not gay abandon

Neotenic
747179.  Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote

Nothing says gay abandon more than spunky candy floss.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next