View previous topic | View next topic

Horace

Page 1 of 1

Celebaelin
640494.  Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Dulce et decorum est and all that stuff from the original author, more to say at a later point.

bobwilson
640506.  Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Horace was the name given to the spider which inhabited the family car when I was a child. (Presumably a succession of spiders but I was only 6 at the time).

Ian Dunn
640524.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote

Famous Horaces include Horace Bent, diarist for The Bookseller magazine and custodan of the Diagram Prize - the prize given every year to the book with the oddest title.

Horace Bent's Twitter account

mckeonj
640543.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote

Horace Batchelor, advertised on Radio Luxemburg his 'Infra-Draw Method' for winning the football pools.

Celebaelin
640560.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote

The Diary of Horace Wimp is a song by ELO on the Discovery album.

A portion of mankind take pride in their vices and pursue their purpose; many more waver between doing what is right and complying with what is wrong.
Horace

He who postpones the hour of living is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out before he crosses.
Horace

In adversity remember to keep an even mind.
Horace

It is courage, courage, courage, that raises the blood of life to crimson splendor. Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity.
Horace

No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by drinkers of water.
Horace

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow.
Horace

The foolish are like ripples on water, For whatsoever they do is quickly effaced; But the righteous are like carvings upon stone, For their smallest act is durable.
Horace

We are just statistics, born to consume resources.
Horace

What we learn only through the ears makes less impression upon our minds than what is presented to the trustworthy eye.
Horace

Why do you hasten to remove anything which hurts your eye, while if something affects your soul you postpone the cure until next year?
Horace

Wisdom is not wisdom when it is derived from books alone.
Horace

soup
640592.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote

Horace Broon is the swoty schoolboy of the Broons (Sunday Post) . He has two older brothers (Hen and Joe) two older sisters(Maggie and Daphne) two younger brothers (the twins) and a younger sister (the bairn). They all live in a tenement in Glebe street. His granddad lives in the same town (it used to assumed it was Glasgow but now has been named as Auchenshoogle [there is an Auchenshugle area of Glasgow]) but separate from them, he has guested in the Oor Wullie strip.

thegrandwazoo
640736.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote

In adversity remember to keep an even mind.
Horace

Or as Douglas Adams said,

DON'T PANIC

Horace

Ahead of his time there!

Ion Zone
640798.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Horace

Is it me or does that one not fit? It sounds very nialistic.

Quote:
Or as Douglas Adams said,

Gah, I am fed up of that guy! Lets hear about Horace!

Jenny
640856.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote

I remember Horace Batchelor - I looked him up on Wikipedia when I read this thread, and it said he only left 150,000 in his will when he died. So his Infra-Draw system couldn't have been that good, could it?

Celebaelin
640917.  Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Is it me or does that one not fit? It sounds very nialistic.

Nialistic? As in the philosophy of Niall Quinn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Quinn

I think you mean nihilistic.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nihilistic

Celebaelin
641765.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote

The Roman poet Horace served as a staff officer at the Battle of Phillipi - on the wrong side. His account of the battle has him surviving by throwing away his shield and fleeing. He later became friends with the victor, the Emperor Augustus (or Octavian as he was known at the time of the battle).

Bondee
641767.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Those of us who owned a ZX Spectrum in the 80's might remember this chap...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_series

Celebaelin
641792.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Many brave men lived before Agamemnon's time, but they are all, unmourned and unknown, covered by the long night, because they lack their sacred poet.
Horace

Believe each day that has dawned is your last. Some hour to which you have not been looking forward will prove lovely. As for me, if you want a good laugh, you will come and find me fat and sleek, in excellent condition, one of Epicurius' herd of pigs.
Horace

tetsabb
642668.  Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote

My sister and brother in law have an african grey parrot named Horace, who has been in their lives since 1971.
I think he is in their wills, as one of their offspring will probably have to look after the little psycho once they pop their clogs (hopefully not for a long while)

Page 1 of 1