View previous topic | View next topic

QI XL for series G?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

lunarstablos
640923.  Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote

Annoyingly, I went out last night without setting the Sky+ to record the new episode. Damn.

I've now seen it on iPlayer but does anyone know if there is a QI XL for this series? Seems bizarre to introduce it just for one series and not carry on

Celebaelin
640927.  Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
No - BBC2 doesn't have a suitable slot for the XL shows until the New Year, so the first four 30-minute shows will not have a narrative repeat. The XL versions of those four do exist, though - so hopefully they'll be broadcast at some point in the future.

The schedule in the New Year will be more as you're used to it - a Friday BBC1 followed by a Saturday XL on BBC2.

Just Say No To Vorderman
642781.  Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote

Pretty poor considering the pish they have found the time for on BBC2 just about every single bleedin' day :-(

Re-runs of the dreadful "Dave" Argumental show spring instantly to mind :-(

Davini994
642892.  Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote

For the red team... Davini will be arguing that Argumental is one of the funniest new shows of late.

Neotenic
642898.  Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote

I think that the quality of any given episode of Argumental is more reliant on the how well the guests work with the format than any other panel show.

When it's good, it can be very very good (Dara, in particular, seems to excel) - and this last run on Dave has contained some of the best yet. But when the guests flounder it can be toe-curlingly awful - Robin Ince and Patrick Kielty, I seem to recall, did particularly badly, and Simon Day probably missed more than he hit.

Gluben
646017.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote

QI XL for series G starts with this Thursday's episode "Geography". The XL edition is on Wednesday 23rd December at 11.10pm on BBC2.

The XL version of "Groovy" is on Tuesday 29th December at 10.55pm, again on BBC2.

bobwilson
646018.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Pretty poor considering the pish they have found the time for on BBC2 just about every single bleedin' day :-(

Suggestions for saving time to allow decent programmes to be shown on BBC:

1. "Coming up" - scrap it. We're already watching the bloody programme so you don't have to give us endless clips of what you're going to show in about 5 minutes time - time saved over each day on average between 15 and 30 minutes.
2. Adverts for other programmes - trust me, we're all able to read the schedules/Radio Times/reviews - we can figure out what we want to watch. Broadcasting repeated clips from an upcoming episode of celebrity come watch the news with mother isn't going to convince anyone to watch it who wasn't going to watch it originally. Time saved - between 30 and 60 minutes per day.
3. News - it isn't news that some idiot has been voted off a reality show. If you really haven't got the wit to identify 30 minutes of real news occurring on a planet populated by 6 billion people and you really think that it's news that some unknown has been voted off a show for no-hopers then we can kill two birds with one stone. First we can cut the time wasted on what you consider news; second we can save on your salary by putting you to more productive use picking up litter in Lapland.

Then there's the scheduling problem. Here's a newsflash - live sports programmes almost always overrun. I know - you may not have noticed but trust me, it happens. So, if you're showing live sports programmes then schedule it so that it covers any possible overruns. If it doesn't (and trust me, it will) you can fill up the gap with commentary, analysis, and repeats showings of previous tournaments. That way everyone's happy. The sports junkies can watch sports, the non-sports junkies know to switch to another channel and watch something vaguely interesting, and no programmes have to be cancelled to accommodate your failings.

Quite why the BBC with the best part of 100 years of broadcasting hasn't quite managed to grasp the fundamentals of programme making and scheduling is beyond me.

Davini994
646033.  Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote

You couldn't make it up!

Just Say No To Vorderman
646664.  Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

2. Adverts for other programmes - trust me, we're all able to read the schedules/Radio Times/reviews - we can figure out what we want to watch. Broadcasting repeated clips from an upcoming episode of celebrity come watch the news with mother isn't going to convince anyone to watch it who wasn't going to watch it originally. Time saved - between 30 and 60 minutes per day.
3. News - it isn't news that some idiot has been voted off a reality show. If you really haven't got the wit to identify 30 minutes of real news occurring on a planet populated by 6 billion people and you really think that it's news that some unknown has been voted off a show for no-hopers then we can kill two birds with one stone. First we can cut the time wasted on what you consider news; second we can save on your salary by putting you to more productive use picking up litter in Lapland.

Where's the "applause" smiley :-)
The way they plug other programmes really really gets my goat
Nothing on BBC2 starts on time..progs can be anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes late :-( and even more annoyingly BBC1 seems to begin up to a minute early.
As for the "News", 24 hour rolling news will surely be the death of us all :-(

Efros
648311.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote

For some reason BBC2 has always been rather cavalier with its scheduled timings, I remember back in the 90s having to be extra careful with my VCR settings when taping Red Dwarf for that very reason. I also lived in Scotland where BBC Scotland had an annoying habit of frigging up the BBC2 schedules on a regular basis, condemning popular network programs to the post newsnight slot. They did this I am sure for no other reason than to piss me off, I realize they will claim they had other reasons but I can assure you they lie, I know I read it in the pig entrails at the time.

gjb
650041.  Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote

The published scheduled start time of a programme is just a nominal time. In reality, the programme can start anything from a minute before to 4 minutes after this time. The television companies have their programmes scheduled accurately, and they know exactly when each programme will start (excepting the occasions on which a programme overruns and throws it all out).

It's annoying, but that's how it is!

exnihilo
652281.  Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote

In that case, where can I apply for the job of feeder of false information to listings magazines?

bobwilson
652318.  Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I read it in the pig entrails at the time

Funnily enough - this is exactly the way that programme schedulers decide when to broadcast a show.

Quote:
The television companies have their programmes scheduled accurately, and they know exactly when each programme will start

I doubt this is true. Considering the evidence it's doubtful whether the entire collective intelligence of any TV company runs to the ability to know which end of a clock to look at.

Deke
655734.  Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote

The guy IC scheduling at the Beeb was on Points of You a few months back, and made the extraordinary statement that all the channels communicate with each other shortly before broadcast time, to help them to avoid clashes, then he added that all programmes on all channels could be expected to start and end within 5 minutes either way of the scheduled time. He said keeping to an exact schedule was basically impossible.

So, two things. Your VCR/PVR is more intelligent than the schedulers at the TV stations and if you want to watch a programme that should start when the one you're currently watching ends, be prepared to miss up to 10 minutes of the second show.

And thing three... Why isn't XL available on iplayer?

suze
655736.  Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote

In the days when next week's QI was shown on BBC4 immediately after this week's on BBC2, there was one week when the BBC2 show ran about five minutes late - pro-celebrity shove ha'penny had overrun, or something like that.

And to BBC4's credit, it ran a short for five minutes at the time next week's QI was due to start, so that it didn't start until the BBC2 show had finished.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next