7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
It's real, but is mostly natural
27%
 27%  [ 19 ]
It's real, and is mostly affected by man
57%
 57%  [ 39 ]
Ooh look, a brown dog outside my window...
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 68

Ion Zone
640832.  Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote

82% of respondees to the poll on that page think Global Warming has been overhyped, 4% are 'Don't knows'.

Quote:
The use of the word "trick" by Jones has been seized on by sceptics

Told yah.

npower1
643368.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote

Thought I would update this to include the latest Times report. There is also this commentary referenced from this site.

npower1
643369.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote

Woops, missed this. An interesting mixture of apparently convinced and apparent questioners.

npower1
643371.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote

And here is one way of reporting a soon to be held meeting.

Jenny
643545.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote

An article in the Telegraph with some interesting historical background in it.

bobwilson
643549.  Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Sort of related although it probably deserves its own thread. Has Newsnight totally lost the plot?

I watched the "debate" between the loud-mouthed yank and the frustrated scientist last night and couldn't help thinking "that reporter has no idea what she's talking about".

On the one hand you had a scientist talking about (or trying to) the way that comments had been taking out of context; on the other hand you had a blustering spinmeister trying to make broad brush strokes; and in the middle you had an idiotic presenter who obviously hadn't done any preparation reducing a fairly complex statement to the single word "tweaking".

I'm looking forward to next week when Mr Chalk will discuss with Mr Cheese whether Fondue sets are a good Christmas Gift moderated by the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Newsnight - breaking new ground in stupidity.

Arcane
644805.  Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote

*shrugs* I've never believed that global warming is what the "experts" say what it is. The climate has evolved since the year dot, it will continue to evolve. I'd like to see the environment we live in treated a whole lot better, but what's going to happen to the earth in a large part is way beyond our control.

barbados
648033.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thought touted by Dennis Miller recently.

How reliable are the figures quoted to prove that global warming is occuring?

crissdee
648103.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote

Reddy wrote:
*shrugs* I've never believed that global warming is what the "experts" say what it is. The climate has evolved since the year dot, it will continue to evolve. I'd like to see the environment we live in treated a whole lot better, but what's going to happen to the earth in a large part is way beyond our control.

Once again Reddy, you have taken the words out of my mouth!

Ion Zone
648233.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote

At another forum I go on the poll is almost exactly half and half, and at college there are loads of people who think it's a con.

PDR
648263.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
At another forum I go on the poll is almost exactly half and half, and at college there are loads of people who think it's a con.

Further evidence for the need to raise the voting age to 35.

PDR

Zaphod Beeblebrox
648271.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote

The way I see it (and this is no expert opinion) is that humans may or may not be causing climate change (I'm pretty sure we have something to do with at least some of it...), but even if there can never be proof that it's our fault - why risk it? So much of the potentially harmful activity is down to people doing/eating things that they don't need- that they could certainly do without, or at least do in a more "eco-friendly" way. Ultimately, no matter what happens, the planet is going to keep spinning on its axis - it's the future of humankind that's at risk.

I'd have thought.

Flash
648294.  Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Reddy wrote:
I've never believed that global warming is what the "experts" say what it is.

On a point of information, can I ask why you put the word "experts" in inverted commas in that post? Presumably it was meant to have a different meaning to the one it would have had without inverted commas, but I can't work out what it is.

Nobody who claims to be an expert actually is? Some people who claim to be experts actually aren't? Expertise doesn't count for anything? Or something else?

gruff5
648414.  Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote

Nigel Lawson thinks he's an expert on climate science.

Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha ROFL Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha - loo break - Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha - coughs- Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha

dr.bob
648489.  Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Here's an interesting thought touted by Dennis Miller recently.

How reliable are the figures quoted to prove that global warming is occuring?

As I understand it, the figures proving that global warming is occurring are pretty damn irrefutable. What's less clear cut is what proportion of the change is caused by human activities.

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
but even if there can never be proof that it's our fault - why risk it?

That's a pretty reasonable argument, but sadly the world is a very uneven place.

For the last couple of hundred years, countries in the west have built large, successful economies by burning fossil fuels. Now, just at the time when some newer economies are doing the same thing, a bunch of people are turning 'round and saying "sorry, we've just realised all this burning coal thing is really bad. Instead you'll have to use some other, more expensive energy, which will slow down the development of your economy."

Needless to say, some of these emerging economies think they're getting the shitty end of the stick here, so tend to reply "that's fine, let's save the world. You just give us some of the cash you made by burning coal to make up for the fact that we're not allowed to and we'll agree with your ideas." At which point, the rich western nations start to shuffle their feet and mumble about how it wasn't really all that much money that they made, honest. Especially with the rising cost of school fees and everything.

And so, yet again, everyone fails to reach an agreement.

Page 2 of 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next