View previous topic | View next topic

History

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BondiTram
661491.  Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:

Richard the Lionheart ordered the mass murder of Jews in York and bankrupted the country by going on crusade.

Also known as the Duke of Aquitaine he was reputed to not only being a non English speaker, spending little of his life in England, but probably not a French speaker either.
His most likely mother tongue was Occitan, a language of the region where I now live and, after centuries of suppression along with other French regional languages, is now actively promoted here, along with its southern neighbour, Basque. The sign at the entrance to my village is, in common with all other towns, cities and villages in Aquitaine, posted in both languages.
Richard Coeur de Lion is well promoted not far to the north of here, not least by the Route Coeur de Lion around Chalus, the castle of which he was beseiging when a stray arrow led to his death.

CB27
661668.  Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote

Q. Why did the first King of Scotland think that Scotland was a minor country?

For the answer you need to qualify who is the first King of Scotland, and what was the name of Scotland.

For the title of King of Scotland, as used by many since the 11th century, we need to look at the official title of these kings: Imperator Scottorum.

Scottorum was initially used to mean Ireland, and the first known king to use this title was Brian Bóruma (Boru). Kings of Scotland later took on this title to mean Knig of Scotland.

As for Scotland itself, even by the Middle Ages some texts still continued to refer to Ireland as Scotia Maior, and to Scotland as Scotia Minor. You can still find several organisations and buildings across Europe which are now called Scottish, but were originally Irish (such as the Schottenstift in Vienna).

mckeonj
661706.  Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote

Scotland was so named for the Scotia, people from Ireland who took their name from their leader, Queen Scoti.
Tradition has it that Scoti and her people came from Egypt, she being the half sister of Neferti.
Not content with taking over a large portion of Southern Ireland, they moved into North Britain and gave their name to the Highlands in that area.
Further confusion arose when some of the Lowland 'Scots', who were not of the Scoti, settled in Northern Ireland in Elizabethan times and later.

CB27
661904.  Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Actually, the bit about Queen Scoti (I think it's actually Scota) was a myth contained within the Book of Invasions (Lebor Gabála Érenn), written in the 11th century as a sort of Gaelic answer to the Bible.

The word Scoti itself is a bit confusing because there weren't actually any tribes called Scoti in Ireland, but the Romans used this word to describe Irish raiders of Scotland. The origin for the word are widely debated, from Gaelic words such as Scuit (a man cut off), to Latin words such as Secuutus (Follower, Pursuer).

Zebra57
663324.  Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Richard the Lionheart was very much a mummy's boy and reputedly died in her arms at Chalus.
He ditched his intended bride for one selected by his mother when in Cyprus. His wife Berengaria never set foot in England. He spoke of his dislike for England and during his reign spent no more than six months on English soil.

scoot
668542.  Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Which queen consorts coronation feast had such delightful food as roast porpoise and fried minnows along with many more dishes of fish and why was no red meat served?

britishsm
668548.  Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote

the lady would be Katherine of Valois - but I'm not at all sure as to why no red meat was present.

the only QI fact I know about her is that in 1669, some 200 years after her demise, Pepys took his family to Westminster Abbey.

"To Westminster Abbey, and there did see all the tombs very finely, having one with us alone (there being other company this day to see the tombs, it being Shrove-Tuesday:) and here we did see, by particular favour, the body of Queen Katherine of Valois; and I had the upper part of her body in my hands, and I did kiss her mouth, reflecting upon it that I did kiss a queene, and that this was my birth-day, thirty-six years old, that I did kiss a queene. But here this man, who seems to understand well, tells me that the saying is not true that she was never buried, for she was buried; only when Henry the Seventh built his chapel, she was taken up and laid in this wooden coffin ; but I did there see that in it the body was buried in a leaden one, which remains under the body to this day."

B.

AH HA !! .. having found the date of her Coronation, 'twas in LENT! so no meaty bits for the good God fearing folk!

CB27
668551.  Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Funny enough you mentioned Catherine of Valois, her name would have been at the back of my mind because there was a quip I once read somewhere about how eating no red meat will leave you looking like a skeleton (her cofin was left open till a hundred odd years ago).

Zebra57
668683.  Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Catherine was exiled to France following her husband's death as her potential influence over the young king Henry V1 was unwanted.

Jenny
668695.  Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote

scoot wrote:
Which queen consorts coronation feast had such delightful food as roast porpoise and fried minnows along with many more dishes of fish and why was no red meat served?

According to this book, Katherine of Valois' coronation was on February 24th 1421, so I think the odds are that the coronation was in the middle of Lent, which would explain why there was no meat on the menu.

CB27
668787.  Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote

It's funny what you know, and what you don't. I knew that Catherine famously had her cofin left open for centuries, exposing her skeleton, and I knew there was some mention of her not eating red meat I read somewhere, but I didn't know it was because her coronation was in Lent.

scoot
669185.  Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote

Obviously all correct. Can you imagine the panic of the catering staff having to come up with a feast fit for the occassion using fish rather than meat. The list of dishes they came up with is mind blowing.

Starfish13
669283.  Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Except porpoise is not fish, and would actually be very red meat. Cetacean muscle is rich in myoglobin, which is what gives meat its red colour, as this is the primary store of oxygen used when they dive.

Quote:
As for Scotland itself, even by the Middle Ages some texts still continued to refer to Ireland as Scotia Maior, and to Scotland as Scotia Minor.

The first Scots (Gaels)arriving in Scotland, didn't call the place Scotland either. They called it Dál Riata/Dalriada, *spelling depending on the source, and the area of their influence covered present day Dumfries and Galloway, Argyll and Lochaber as well as the Hebrides. The North and Eastern parts of Scotland were the home of the Picts.

Jenny
669284.  Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I don't think they would have realised in the Middle Ages that porpoise weren't fish.

Zebra57
669331.  Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote

There were many subtle ways in which "meat" of certain animals slipped the ban during lent. Beaver was another of many strangely designated "fish" species. This link is QI

http://anvil.unl.edu/agnes/RecreatingLent.htm

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next