View previous topic | View next topic

History

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jenny
680692.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Doos, and thanks for your post :-)

Spud McLaren
680728.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, Doos - forgot that I hadn't seen your name come up before. Welcome!

Doos
680901.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Thanks! :D. I only found this site yesterday, had to post in here, i've been studying history for nearly three years. Does anything ever make it on to the actual show?

suze
680909.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, Doos!

And yes, it certainly does. The Elves (as we call the research team) do read these forums, and questions on the show absolutely have been based on posts here.

Zebra57
680927.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Welcome

bobwilson
680943.  Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote

I don't think it's true that Crassus actually set fire to buildings. He did buy up property adjacent to fires at low prices but I don't think he was actually an arsonist.

Doos
681199.  Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Wikipedia says something different, but my professor (Olivier Hekster) said he did set fire to buildings. (Well he himself didn't of course, he had people doing that for him.) I think i believe him before i believe Wikipedia (even though Wikipedia is my bible). But i'll research it when i'm back at uni :D.

Oh, i just remember this quite interesting fact: the emperor Contantine, widely believed to be the first Christian emperor, probably wasn't very Christian. He reportedly beat his rival Maxentius in the Battle of the Milvian brigde, after he had had a vision of Christ. But there are no accounts that actually mention Christ or any christian sign, it probably was Sol, a version of the sun god Apollo, who has lots of things in common with Christ, due to syncretism. But it wasn't Christ. Constantine built two Christian churches in Rome, but he didn't in his new big city, Constantinople, again an argument why he wouldn't be Christian. He was baptised just before he died, but many Romans already did that a long time before Constantine.

Stefan Linnemann
725584.  Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Doos wrote:
I’ve got three quite interesting things:

1. [snip]

2. This could also go in the Holland section:
War is good, at least it was in the 17th century and it especially was for The Netherlands. The Netherlands, or the United Provinces, were at war with Spain from 1568-1648. This meant Dutch ships could do whatever they wanted with Spanish ships, and both countries were great sea powers. In 1628 Piet Hein captured the Spanish treasure fleet, thereby funding the Dutch army in its war against Spain. The Twelve Years’ Truce from 1609-1621 was actually bad for the Dutch economy.

But it gets even better: staple trade was very important for the Dutch in the 17the century, so important in fact, “they happily continued, throughout the Eighty Years War with Spain, to act as carriers for the naval stores which Spain needed to maintain the fleets which protected Spanish commerce against Dutch attacks. This enabled the Dutch to earn the cash with which to pay the forces to protect their frontiers against Spanish armies.” (M. Howard, War in European History (Oxford 2009) p. 44)

[snip]
I

According to my History teacher things were even madder than that, the Republic even continued to trade with Spain, and one type of the things sold were cannons.

Another factoid was, that during the (xth?) British-Dutch war(s) Dutch ships were so successful, because they used to sail up alongside the British, giving them a good broadside, while the British cannons on their much larger ships thundered harmlessly above.

And I maintain, the British are the only neighbour, er, decent enough never to have invaded the Low Countries.

Stefan.

Moosh
725608.  Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
Another factoid was, that during the (xth?) British-Dutch war(s) Dutch ships were so successful, because they used to sail up alongside the British, giving them a good broadside, while the British cannons on their much larger ships thundered harmlessly above.

That doesn't make sense to me, as whilst it may be possible that at very short range the British cannon couldn't be fired directly at the ship, two things occur. Firstly the range would have to be incredibly short. Short to the point that boarding would be a real possibility, and the Dutch commanders would be foolish to sail close enough to a much bigger ship, with a correspondingly much bigger crew, that they might get boarded. Secondly, even if the cannonballs were above the deck, there's still considerable damage that can be done in terms of hitting the masts, sails and rigging. If two ships are engaged, and one succeeds in bringing down one or more of the others' masts, that ship has effectively won, as the other ship is pretty much in its power. Indeed it's a lot easier to disable a ship by destroying it's masts/rigging than it is by shooting holes in the hull.

Efros
725616.  Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote

And so much more profitable too.

MatC
725785.  Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know what gypsies call the holocaust? I mean, do they have a word like nakba or shoah?

samivel
725803.  Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote

Some of them use Porajmos, but, as that link demonstrates, there are other terms as well.

MatC
725837.  Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote

Thanks, samivel

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6