View previous topic | View next topic

Howard Goodall

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
634983.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote

Can't find a thread specific to Howard - apologies if one exists.

We can't forget Howard Goodall in the H series - as well as being the composer of the QI theme, he has a rather interesting condition (which I used to share) of mentally "hearing" music every waking minute. Some of it is tunes he's heard before, but the remainder is, as far as he knows, original.

I don't know if there's a medical term for this, nor even whether it would be classed as an affliction. But I do know that when an original piece comes along, it's bloody frustrating to be unable to make a record of it!

CB27
634990.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote

I thought he just forgot to take his headphones off.

Spud McLaren
635030.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote

You tend to be reminded when you try to walk away from the stereo (a le Wallace, in A Grand Day Out).

Spud McLaren
635032.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote

The process of mentally hearing music when none is playing is called audiation. But I can't yet find any reference to the condition of incessant audiation.

John Cage and Aristotle complained of bouts of it and reported it as a nuisance.

This paper deals in a rudimentary way with non-voluntary inner music, including that induced under hypnosis.

Flash
635040.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Spud - good stuff. From that second link:
Quote:
Probably the most renowned example of music actually heard in a dream is that of Tartini. He was a violinist and composer who lived from 1692-1770. In his dream, he bargained for his soul with the devil, who seized his violin and played a sonata of great beauty and tremendous virtuosity. When Tartini awoke, he immediately put onto paper what he could remember of the music. The piece he completed was called the Devil's Trill Sonata. Tartini's inner music seems to be of the fourth type: non-voluntary music unexpectedly flowing into consciousness.

Which gives us this possible question:

Who wrote this piece of music?

A: The Devil (or, possibly, Tartini) ...

... with scope to broaden the discussion into either involuntary music OR why jokes which were hilarious when you dreamed them aren't funny at all when you wake up.

Spud McLaren
635077.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote

The last (June 27, 2007: 8:16 am) post on this external thread is QI.

Spud McLaren
635100.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Don't know whether these forums have covered this before, but it's QI, and not altogether unrelated.

Spud McLaren
635162.  Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Another
Flash wrote:
Quote:
...example of music actually heard in a dream ...

Trans, by Karlheinz Stockhausen.

God, that bloke has weird dreams.

thegrandwazoo
635331.  Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote

Apparently Paul McCartney dreamt the tune to "Yesterday" but was convinced at first that it must have been a tune he had heard somewhere before. It was only when he played it to other people and asked them if they knew it that he realised it was original.

Spud McLaren
992325.  Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote

Just a cross-reference to further research - post 992324

Awitt
1063734.  Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote

I often hear my current orchestra program in my head when I'm awake (or an annoying, short church hymn for half the day), and hear music in my dreams, some of which have become short compositions.

Page 1 of 1