View previous topic | View next topic

Heraldry

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

'yorz
1213927.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Why not just go to an decent auction house or similar? There are bound to be experts who can find out whether it's authentic (or not).

bemahan
1213946.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote

There's only one very small rather upmarket auction house in Oxford and I know from experience that they don't want to spend time looking at anything that you're not planning to sell. Mainly because they are very small and have to hold on to the item until the relevant valuer comes in (they only come in occasionally) and they only want to give you a value, not information. I can understand all that as they have to make a living and presumably the valuers are paid by the hour.

'yorz
1213953.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote

OK. Can you email a picture and particulars to a larger auction house? If they're interested they may ask you to come and let them see it in natura.
Do a large mail shot. Ya never kna. :-)

suze
1213968.  Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Why not show it to someone who sells at the place where you're selling your plastic stuff?

If Bargain Hunt is anything to go by, a fair proportion of antique dealers are older men in tweed jackets whose main area of interest is militaria. That sort of man usually knows far too much about orders and decorations, and will at the very least know whether it's military, civilian, or theatrical.

If it is a theatrical costume it's unlikely to be worth a great deal, but if it's a "real" decoration and you know who it was awarded to, there are collectors for that.

14-11-2014
1213995.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote

Basic verification step: if someone has won a rare personal militairy award, then first try to make sure that there was no requirement to return the awarded item after the winner has died. If returning the special item is required, then most likely it's fake. Wearing the medals of a deceased veteran can be an offence (for example, Article 419.b of the Canadian Criminal Code).

Alfred E Neuman
1214016.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote

A pic here might help? Not that I'm in any way implying that I have clue, but I do know that there are people with all sorts of interesting knowledge on here and it seems to be worth a shot.

14-11-2014
1214071.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Basic verification step: if someone has won a rare personal military award, then first try to make sure that there was no requirement to return the awarded item after the winner has died. If returning the special item is required, then most likely it's fake.

The Most Noble Order of the Garter is an example of a personal award which has to be returned:

Wikipedia wrote:
On the death of a member, the Lesser George and breast star are returned personally to the Sovereign by the former member's nearest male relative, and the other insignia to the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, save the riband, mantle and hat.

This is not an invitation to returns yours, it's just what often happens if the military award is personal, rare, real and royal.

bemahan
1214165.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Mine looks like this: but just has the motto embroidered with none of the fancy stuff, and mine has a gold-coloured oblong metal buckle with paste stones in it.
I would post a piccy of mine but any photos I post these days seem to lead to my personal account on whatever photo software I use.

bemahan
1214166.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I've just downloaded a new Photobucket app to share this photo of my 'belt'. I think the photo disappears once you've looked at it.
Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=MzMwNDg=

'yorz
1214173.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Just getting photobucket's homepage, bem.

bemahan
1214178.  Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Oh :( Apologies but I've no idea why it isn't working.will have a crack at it again tomorrow.

Alfred E Neuman
1214188.  Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote

Maybe someone looked at it and it disappeared? :-)

bemahan
1214248.  Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Ah. That would be me, checking it when I posted it. I hadn't factored in the fact that photobucket would treat all forummers as one person. Silly me.
Will try again without the 'snapchat' element.

bemahan
1214463.  Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote

Trying again...
http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=MzM4NjU=

Spoilt Victorian
1214465.  Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote

Nothing there, bem. Blank homepage.

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next