View previous topic | View next topic

Reddish Canaries

Page 1 of 1

Evilbeagle
628548.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote

In The Book of General Ignorance it states that no one has been able to turn a canary red. I would like to share a little something from my childhood (proof pending until I can get my mother to find pictures) that flies in the face of this fact.

My grandfather used to raise canaries. They were his passion. Back in the 70s and 80s, he began to feed the chicks a combination of hard boiled egg yolks mixed with some sort of red dye. While they did not turn a true red, they did take on a very dark pinkish red color.

The pictures of these strange birds are in my mother's attic in Miami, and she's not keen on going up there, but I will see what I can do.

Jenny
628566.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote

Thanks Evilbeagle - photos would be great!

Evilbeagle
628577.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

Jenny, I will get them posted the moment I can get Mom into her attic. In the meantime, I'm going to check with some pet shops about the dye used on canaries. This is really intriguing me now... more than it did when I was seven!

Jenny
628601.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote

If the dye in the eggs did change the colour of the canaries' feathers, it must work in the same way that a diet of shrimp changes the colour of flamingoes' feathers.

Evilbeagle
628622.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote

That's what I am thinking. I am going to pick up my dog's food order at the pet shop on Wednesday, and will ask them if they carry any such dyes. I imagine that it involved the blue-green algea that turns flamingo feathers pink. Surely, my grandpa wasn't the only one that did this. He had a lot of friends that were into canaries so I am sure he wasn't the first or the last to turn his canaries pinkish red.

I wish I could properly describe the color too. It wasn't really pink or red, but almost a deep, dusty rose color. I almost didn't even post this because to be fair, it's not a true red, like a cardinal. But, it was close!

Evilbeagle
628626.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote

http://www.canaryplace.com/color.htm

Aha! Here it is!

soup
628641.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
If the dye in the eggs did change the colour of the canaries' feathers, it must work in the same way that a diet of shrimp changes the colour of flamingoes' feathers.

Is it not the blue/green algae that makes Flamingoes reddish/pink rather than the prawns/shrimps?

Spud McLaren
628649.  Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Jenny wrote:

Is it not the blue/green algae that makes Flamingoes reddish/pink rather than the prawns/shrimps?

See The Book of General Ignorance, p.248

soup
628788.  Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

See The Book of General Ignorance, p.248

I would, but I don't have one.

samivel
628789.  Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote

Doesn't that get you some sort of forfeit 'round here?

soup
628790.  Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Doesn't that get you some sort of forfeit 'round here?

Probably.

/me Hangs head in shame.

Jenny
628881.  Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote

Sadly, my copy of the BOGI is the edition that had the pagination messed up, and the flamingo page is among those that are missing. I keep it because John Lloyd and Stephen Fry signed it and I treasure it for that. I really ought to buy another copy!

Page 1 of 1