View previous topic | View next topic

Important Announcement

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Spud McLaren
630026.  Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Keeping every post is just daft - in your house you don't keep every item that ever crosses your threshhold; pretty soon you wouldn't have the room/will to live. It's obvious that the back pages of many threads are redundant - nay, moribund - and whether or no there's room to keep them, it's just not good housekeeping. It's not good for the mind to be so untidy, nor is it elegant - and if QI should be anything more than QI, it should be elegant.

A quick nose around this site/blog should prove QI.

dr.bob
630087.  Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Out of interest - I wonder if the site ever approaches it's traffic volume limits?

No, it doesn't. Nor does it usually come anywhere near its disk storage limits (unless I let the log files build up too much).

bobwilson wrote:
And I wasn't disparaging the work done by Dr. Bob - just noting that there does seem to be a bottleneck in the organisation.

The bottleneck in this case is the amount of database storage. As you say, it would be possible to host that somewhere else, but again we come down to the question of where and, if it's hosted in my garage (as it could easily be done), then the entire contents of the talk forums would be dependent on my continued participation with this site.

As for hosting some posts in the official web hosting environment and older ones in my garage, that would require rather a large amount of rewriting of the phpBB code, I'd imagine.

Of course, the obvious solution would be for the QI organisation to spend more on hosting in order to get a more generous database allocation (or, indeed, to rent a dedicated server on which they could do whatever they liked). However, making a convincing case for the QI organisation to spend more money just so that we can piss around in our spare time is a rather tricky proposition, I would suggest.

Sophie.A
630149.  Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
The bottleneck in this case is the amount of database storage. As you say, it would be possible to host that somewhere else, but again we come down to the question of where and, if it's hosted in my garage (as it could easily be done), then the entire contents of the talk forums would be dependent on my continued participation with this site.

I was hoping I could help out with part of the proposed garage hosting by setting this site up.

Davini994
630183.  Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote

Thanks Sophie!

Ion Zone
630306.  Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote

You know, I know you would never agree to it, but I have a friend who would probably let you have space on his server account, he's going to host stuff for me when the college gets round to teaching us Dreamweaver.

Almost certain he could set you up with everything separate, all your own passwords etc. It would be unlimited storage, including database, but I have no idea what the service is like, he said it was a little choppy to start with but has been 0k since.

bemahan
630314.  Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Nice garage, Sophie!

dr.bob
630451.  Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
You know, I know you would never agree to it, but I have a friend who would probably let you have space on his server account

Hosting stuff in someone else's garage is not significantly more desirable than hosting stuff in my own garage.

Ion Zone
630636.  Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote

It is a proper server, but yes.

Arcane
632784.  Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote

I've restarted Word Association - and have made a starting post stating that I'm happy for it to be deleted/culled/pruned/trimmed as necessary. It's a fun game, but not necessary to the QI program of course. If it's for the greater good of the QI Forum, then that is absolutely fine. I don't have personal attachments to things like this (I'm a moderator on a forum so I have to do delete threads etc myself there) so I'm aware that this is a crucial issue. Everyone wants a site to run speedily and efficiently, and there is a fine balance with what has to be paid out in site bandwith and database space with having necessary content and keeping everyone happy (ie site speed and what they want to have in the forums).

It is a necessary evil to keep the site at its primary purpose, to be QI. Those who have been here a while will remember when the forum simply disappeared for days the last time we exceeded our limit. I don't think anyone wants to see that happen again!

dr.bob
632919.  Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote

No problem, reddy. Any threads that look like they're going to grow out of control will simply get trimmed down to the most recent few posts. With something like the word association thread, that shouldn't have much impact on proceedings.

Awitt
921203.  Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote

In another online site I'm on, when one game got too much, someone would simply start a new one and a host/mod would have to lock the older one.

Dr Fell
988875.  Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote

Isn't it time this thread were deleted?

crissdee
1188947.  Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote

Posting this here, to save a massive doffcock on the thread in question.

I am now about half-way through my transcription of the One Word Story, and I'm wondering what's best to do with it. I could post it on the thread which would allow the previous 240 pages to be deleted. This might save space on the forum. However, the post would be more than 1000 words, possibly 2000 words and I'm not sure if that is a good idea in itself. Any ideas?

'yorz
1188956.  Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote

Having reread the whole thread (and often when browsing the older and sometimes extinct threads), I think the elves and admin must be shaking their heads every now and then when they contemplate how far the site has become removed from its original idea. Fun and games have mostly taken over from QI input. I know I'm guilty of doing just that. :-/

crissdee
1189561.  Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote

My transcription project has rather ground to a halt, as I rather underestimated the work involved. I will get back to it when my personal life is less stressful. When it's done we can discuss what (if anything) is best to do with it.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5