View previous topic | View next topic

Rolls Royce Chicken Canon

Page 1 of 1

patman
627109.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Just watched a re-run of the C program with the Rolls Royce Chicken Canon.

This time I noticed an error (I am pretty sure).

On the screens behing the contestants was a front view of a jet engine turbine, the bit where a chicken would be fired into, presumably to illustrate a Rolls Royce Aero Engine.

Looking a the turbine blades one can see that it operates by spining anti-clockwise (Counter clockwise for our American friends).

I understand Rolls Royce engines are perculiar in that they spin Clockwise, all the other makers, General Electric, Pratt & Whitney etc. spin anti-clockwise.

So they were talking about Rolls Royce Aero engines illustrated with an engine which isn't a Rolls Royce.

Celebaelin
627116.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Or the picture was inadvertantly 'flipped' to show a mirror image.

Flash
627157.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote

If that's true it's an outstanding quibble by patman, although it's far from being our worst transgression; we once illustrated a question about kangaroos with a picture of a wallaby.

Another pictorial quibble which might be made about that question is that the people who make Rolls-Royce aero engines are completely different from the people who make Rolls-Royce cars.

Celebaelin's clever get-out is quite likely to be right, too.

patman
627352.  Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote

I was told about the clockwise bit because I live in a part of Derby, England where almost every other person works for "Royces" and they are justly proud that they can recognise their engines without looking at the badge. (Royce was the engineer, the people who build the engines are engineers too and they can't bear that Rolls, a car salesman, gets first billing)

Motor cars and aero engines were built in the same factory here in Derby early on. On the building the words carved into the stone saying "Motor Cars" has been chisseled away although it's still clearly visible.

Page 1 of 1