View previous topic | View next topic

Horrors (Halloween)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

tetsabb
624330.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote

A couple of JWs once appeared at my door the morning after quite a heavy drinking session.
I grumbled that my boyfriend* and I were about to go and give blood.
They left.

And yet I worked with a chap a few years ago who was a JW, and a lovely fellow. A very good spin bowler, rider of large motorcycle, prone to non-harmful practical jokes, such as putting the contents of the holepunch in someone's sandwich box, and a generally twisted sense of humour. He liked a drink, too; on a works' outing, when asked why he was as pissed as the rest of us, he slurred that God had put the grape on Earth for our enjoyment. I did not ask what their view of the coca leaf, poppy or cannabis sativa was. Shame

*I was married (to a woman) at the time.

AlmondFacialBar
624374.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote

i dare say they kicked him out in the mean time... ;-)

nice way to get rid of them at the door, btw. i ocne got rid of a bunch of presbyterian missionaries (who'd just come for the third time) by letting them have a look at the crucifixion picture on my wall. it wasn't jesus being crucified on that one. they gave up then.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
624397.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote

There's an elderly couple of Calvinist Christian missionaries who occasionally come around our way, and they are big fans of Ian Paisley (he's on the front of the booklet they try to sell). Telling them that I'm a Catholic usually gets them running!

JWs I'm afraid I scarcely give the time of day, but I'll talk to Mormons if I don't have anything better I need to be doing. I knew quite a few when I was younger, and one of my nieces flirted briefly with their church (and then decided that actually, Rome continued to make more sense to her), so I do know a little about them. And I don't always mention Hamlet* ...

AFB, is the person being crucified in the picture that hangs on your wall a Mr B Cohen, by any chance?

* The Book of Mormon is supposed to have been written in the year 421 AD. Which, on the face of it, makes the fact that it contains a quotation from Hamlet somewhat surprising. The people of 421 AD are not believed to have been especially familiar with Shakespeare; nineteenth century Americans on the other hand ...

AlmondFacialBar
624401.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AFB, is the person being crucified in the picture that hangs on your wall a Mr B Cohen, by any chance?

of course it was... (was because that's a long time ago, in my first apartment as an undergrad)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
624427.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Wendy has just reminded me of a friend of hers who brought the missionaries in, sat them down, gave them a cup of tea, and then expressed delight that he would now try and convert them..... to Satanism.
Cloud of dust.

AlmondFacialBar
624437.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote

my dad once asked them in, sat them down with a cup of coffee and dissected every single bible passage they had on offer to back up their theories replying with one of his own. after about an hour and a half one of them screamed "oh dear, my potatoes", and they ran and were never seen again. kept the house free of jehova's witnesses for the next ten years, so it did.

AlmondFacialBar

mckeonj
624456.  Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I gave them a Hare Krishna book which had previously been given to me by an HK, and urged the JWs to read it and pray. I will report the outcome if the JWs return.

Moosh
624800.  Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is giving sweets to "strange" kids still "allowed" where you live, then? British hysteria about "paedophiles" is such that this is a thing that one is very strongly advised not to do, and furthermore kids are warned in school not to accept any such offer.

Good God, really? I know you live in Kent and people in the South are untrustworthy, but still. When I lived with my parents*, any kids coming round absolutely expected sweets, indeed giving them money would be strongly discouraged by their parents.

That said, I was once in a local pub on the 31st when three teenagers came in, probably about 16 or so, attempting to get money as trick-or-treaters. They were swiftly shown the door.

*I now live in a flat, trick-or-treaters can't get into the block so I'm not bothered by them.

suze
624914.  Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote

I don't think I can deny that there's less sense of "community" in the south east than elsewhere in the UK - knowing your neighbours isn't especially encouraged, and taking any kind of interest in their affairs is perceived as - at best - nosey and rude. And as I can verify from personal experience, telling their kids not to play football in our driveway is not welcomed either.

But isn't the thing about not accepting sweets from strangers impressed upon school kids everywhere? It was when I was in school, and that was long, long ago in a country far, far away.

While I still wouldn't welcome trickers and treaters, I'd have less of a problem with them if they came with their parents - but where we live at least, they usually don't.

thedrew
624922.  Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Yes, children are normally told not to take treats from strangers. But Hallowe'en is an exception.

Just as going door-to-door singing songs is normally discouraged outside December.

suze
624935.  Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Hallowe'en does seem to be regarded as some kind of exception there, but surely that plays right into the hands of a very small proportion of the population. Still, I'm not aware that in Britain we've ever had the thing that some places in the US had a couple years back, where kids were advised to take any edible items they might be given to the hospital to be X-rayed before eating them. (There was one case in Texas where a guy laced the sweets he gave to trick or treaters with hydrogen cyanide; a boy died and cyanide guy went to the death chamber. But that's the only one which has been verified; contrast with the claims made in certain sections of the media that insertion of poisons or sharp metal objects into the sweets is rife.)

I actually don't mind carol singers. OK, so that's partly because I was allowed to do it in my childhood, and I wasn't allowed to trick or treat. But at least with carol singers, they do something in return for the consideration they expect - and some of them are really pretty good.

dmottram
625560.  Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
There was one case in Texas where a guy laced the sweets he gave to trick or treaters with hydrogen cyanide; a boy died and cyanide guy went to the death chamber.
According to New Scientist it was his own son he did it to in order to collect on the insurance. No limit for some people...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16422147.600-tricky-treats.html

tetsabb
625652.  Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Someone I work with made the suggestion that one go round to a Kingdom Hall, knock on the door and say that one would like to convert the occupants to ........*
If they say you can't do that here, inform them that they should refrain from banging on other people's doors.

I like this idea

*Insert belief of your choice here

Starfish13
626306.  Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote

I used to go out guising in fancy dress when I was little, back in the days when you had to actually make an effort to get some sweets, either by telling jokes or a poem or something, rather than just chant 'trick or treat' and expecting something. We'd visit friends houses and neighbours that we knew, and places where you knew you would get something - usually they'd put a lantern in the window to let you know. We wouldn't just go to any random house.

My folks still get kids coming to the house on hallowe'en as my mam is a teacher, and knows lots of the kids and their brothers and sisters. Their elderly neighbours make a load of effort for the kids in the village, and always have lots visiting them.

soup
626312.  Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote

I do not mind the kids who make an effort (by reciting a wee poem joke etc)in the old Scottish(?)style of 'Guising', but the ones who seem to demand sweets/money in the guise (<see what I did there) in the name of that (mostly) USAian import 'trick or treat' get my goat.

When my boys were younger they could go around the square (we are in a sort of cul-de-sac thing) knocking on doors we had previously asked permission from (don't go to number 13 he is a grumpy so and so) and watching them from the window letting them think they are on a big adventure but watching them all the time , but I wouldn't have let them roam the length and breadth of the estate.
Boys are 16 (nearly 17) and 15 now,so there Guising days are over. Oh how I miss the past .

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next