View previous topic | View next topic

re. Mazda M2R sales in france

Page 1 of 1

steve6375
621464.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote

In 1977 Commodore released the first complete home computer, the Personal Electronic Transactor or PET. Many thousands were sold worldwide but not in Germany. Commodore realised that PET in German meant 'fart'!

Three years later Commodore introduced the Vic-20 - the first computer to sell more than a million - except in Germany again! This time Commodore quickly realised their mistake and changed the name to VC-20 in Germany - when pronounced by a German, Vic sounded like the german word for 'f**k'.

How true this is I am not sure, but there are many references to this on the internet and I heard the story around 1980.

Sophie.A
621472.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote

steve6375 wrote:
Commodore realised that PET in German meant 'fart'!

Pet is French, not German, for “fart”. The German word for a fart would be Pup.

The second story is more plausible as the German word for the f-word (as a verb) is ficken (and Germans pronounce the letter “v” as /f/).

Rudolph Hucker
621473.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Whilst people are in correcting mode, it's a Toyota not a Mazda and the model in question is an MR2, not an M2R.

suze
621483.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote

And actually, Toyota did realise on time, and avoided using the name "emme erre deux" in France - it's just called the MR there.

Rudolph Hucker
621488.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Can any of the cunning little linguists on here shed light on the Mitsubishi version of the MR2 story?

According to various unimpeachable sources down the pub, the reason we have a 4WD monstrosity called a Shogun defiling our streets is that its original asian name, Pajero, means wanker in Spanish.

There may be no truth at all in this and the rumour may have started by the frequency with which the word wanker was heard to be uttered by people commenting upon the social attributes of those owner/drivers of said behemoths.

suze
621490.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote

It's true - see post 387318.

Sophie.A
621510.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Rudolph Hucker wrote:
Whilst people are in correcting mode, it's a Toyota not a Mazda and the model in question is an MR2, not an M2R.

And the QI episode in which this is featured is not in the E Series but the A Series.

steve6375
621542.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the corrections! The story probably has changed in my head slightly over the years as the grey cells slowly die off!

Just change 'Germany' to 'France' and pretend this post is in the A Series forum. I still think it is an amusing story...

PDR
621558.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote

...and then there was the Opel Ascona which I understand in Portugal refers to the external portion of the female reproductive system (or a BMW driver, which is much the same thing).

Also the simple VW Golf which was sold in the USA as the "Rabbit", without realising that a "Rabbit car" in the USA is the friday-afternoon special (the one that was assembled after a liquid lunch, and has dozens of incorrectly assembled, loose or missing parts).

PDR

Sophie.A
621561.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote

steve6375 wrote:
Thanks for the corrections! The story probably has changed in my head slightly over the years as the grey cells slowly die off!

Just change 'Germany' to 'France' and pretend this post is in the A Series forum. I still think it is an amusing story...

No problem. Welcome to forums.

GL5
621602.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote

Didn't the French national bank once try to open a branch in an area of England with a major ethnic community? Then they realized that the abbreviation of the Banque National de Paris was "BNP".

Davini994
621646.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of the joke about the man with a long face that walks into the bar and sees a lamp on the table. So he asks the barman why it's there and he says the genie's not not got very good hearing!

No wait, that's not right. There's a small penis on the bar, and the man says ouch. That's it, I think.

;)

PDR
621709.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote

"I say, I say, I say - my dog smells terrible..."

"I say, I say, I say - my wife's gone top Jamaica..."

Now, about thay conveyor belt runway...

PDR

Page 1 of 1