View previous topic | View next topic

Hello from Russia!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ecume
583116.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!
What a lovely company! I think I will be coming over quite often.
Initially I decided to join you asking for help - I am trying to translate (subtitles) a few QI episodes in Russian properly.
Just for friends)
I love the show and it's actually not too difficult to translate as I thought at first. Most of cultural references that we don't get are easy to google. But almost each episode contain 3-4 jokes, that I just can't understand.
I guess I'm going to start with the forum "The B Series"... right now:)
See you there (I hope!)

P.S. in advance terribly sorry for any grammar mistakes or lexical ridiculousness!

samivel
583122.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote

Welcome :)

zomgmouse
583164.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote

Привет ecume, добро пожаловать.
Надеюсь что тебе понравится здесь у нас.
Интересное дело, перевод - только осторожно с играми слов которые очень часто непереводимые.
QiScorpion should be here any minute to give you e-tea and other e-assorted e-goodies.

ecume
583172.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Привет ecume, добро пожаловать.
Надеюсь что тебе понравится здесь у нас.
Интересное дело, перевод - только осторожно с играми слов которые очень часто непереводимые.
QiScorpion should be here any minute to give you e-tea and other e-assorted e-goodies.

Спасибо!
Я чрезвычайно осторожна! :)
мои первые вопросы тут:
http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=583134&highlight=#583134

zomgmouse
583185.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote

Буду помогать где могу.

Susannah Dingley
583204.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote

Привет, екуме!

ecume
583207.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
Привет, екуме!

Привет, Сюзанна! я - "экюм" ("пена" по-французски)

Как славно - меня приветствуют на родном языке)

Jenny
583290.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote

Welcome ecume :-)

suze
583315.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

Привет, экюм!

(I sooo wanted to put an -е on the end of your name there. But there's no vocative in Russian, so it would have been wrong!)

QiScorpion
583404.  Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Добрый вечер!

Вот ваш мешок электронной чай, печенье э, э торта и электронной объятия вместе с drawstring мешок благодарность.

Надеюсь, вам понравится ваше пребывание здесь, на добрую судна QI!

I hope that's OK Russian.* If not, forgive me, I've provided the English for those better versed in Russian than Google Translate:

Good evening!

Here is your bag of e-tea, e-biscuits, e-cake and e-hugs, along with a drawstring bag of gratitude.

I hope you enjoy your stay here on the good ship QI!

:D

zomgmouse
583590.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote

QiS, google translate doesn't do proper grammar. Neither does it recognise all words. I mean, "вместе с drawstring мешок благодарность"? :P

suze wrote:
I sooo wanted to put an -е on the end of your name there. But there's no vocative in Russian, so it would have been wrong!

Ah, but to whom are you giving the greetings? To экюм! So it would be Привет экюмe (от нас) or even Привет (передаётся) экюмe. Or you could just stick with the greeting Привет экюм.

ecume
583594.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
Добрый вечер!

Вот ваш мешок электронной чай, печенье э, э торта и электронной объятия вместе с drawstring мешок благодарность.

Надеюсь, вам понравится ваше пребывание здесь, на добрую судна QI!

lovely)))
Thank you!

ecume
583610.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote

You, guys, love to turn anything in some kind of scientific discussion, don't you? :)

There's absolutely no need to transcribe in Russian my french username "ecume" (="froth"). And if it's transcribed, it is indeclinable in Russian, being a foreign word of feminine gender:)
in case you are interested...

zomgmouse
583615.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote

But it's a name!

suze
583785.  Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Ah, but to whom are you giving the greetings? To экюм! So it would be Привет экюмe (от нас) or even Привет (передаётся) экюмe.

Ooh, so Russian does (or, at least, can) use a case ending to denote the vocative, even though the language no longer has an explicit vocative. Is that -e what the grammar books would say is a dative form?

In Polish we still have a vocative case; it's gradually falling out of use in speech although it survives rather more in writing. Those who eschew it in speech use the nominative instead, and some younger speakers only use the vocative if telling someone that they love them.

zomg wrote:
Or you could just stick with the greeting Привет экюм.

Perhaps I shall go for that approach! Especially since Ecume tells us that foreign names are not declined in Russian. In Polish they generally are, unless it's really too awkward. (Notably, it is generally considered too awkward in the case of French names which end in a silent consonant.)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next