Chinese names

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sophie.A
618287.  Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Right, David Mitchell (Dai-Bi Mi-Chao) is

Slack Slave Rotten Dynasty – 怠婢眯朝

Borrow Spoon Narrow Fry – 贷匕靡炒

And finally, Phill Jupitus. I reckon the two translations of his name are actually slightly different: Vulgar Hedge Dwarf Skin Couch (note Stephen missed the “hedge” in reading the first translation) is Cu-Li Zhu-Pi-Ta whereas Bend-over Hedge Master Ruffian Fetus is Fu-Li Zhu-Pi-Tai.

Vulgar Hedge Dwarf Skin Couch – 粗篱侏皮榻 (Cu-Li Zhu-Pi-Ta)

Bend-over Hedge Master Ruffian Fetus – 匐篱主痞胎 (Fu-Li Zhu-Pi-Tai)

So, that’s all sorted out now – yay!

jonehogg
659443.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote

Most Chinese names consist of three Chinese characters, eg you've probably heard of the famous businessman Li Ka Shing.The main difference from Western names is that the surname comes first,then the two-character given-name. So the right way to address him is as 'Mr Li', or 'Ka Shing' if you are already a good friend of his.

Ameena
659473.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote

Same as with Snooker players - at the bottom of the screen during the game, players' surnames are shown beside their scores. So Ronnie O'Sullivan shows as "O'Sullivan", Mark Selby as "Selby", etc. There are some quite well-known Chinese Snooker players now - Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo for example, whose names are shown as "Ding" and "Liang" because of the names-the-other-way-round-from-us thing.

Celebaelin
659650.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote

啊 = ah (~aha!)

蘭 or 兰 = lan (orchid)

啊蘭 = alan (aha! orchid OR a 'diminutive' of orchid, orchidlette say, since it would ordinarily be a girl's name)

I'll try and do Davies after I get back from the dentists!

So far I've got De (which I hope is 'day' rather than 'dee' or 'duh', meaning virtue)

Da (大)means 'big', but is as in dad, fei (狒 or 废) is 'useless'

啊兰大废
Ah-lan Da-fei

Orchidlette big useless

I'm something like "Little forest meat divination master" it seems.

suze
659747.  Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Whose names are shown as "Ding" and "Liang" because of the names-the-other-way-round-from-us thing.

Yup. Placing the "surname" first is the norm in east and southeast Asia - China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam all do it, although Thailand doesn't. It's the norm in Hungary as well - for instance, a well known footballer of days gone by was called Puskás Ferenc in Hungarian.

Especially during the Soviet period, Russian and Serbian names were sometimes presented that way around as well. It's usually fairly easy to tell though, and it's no longer official practice in any of the Slavic lands.

The klaxon comes for anyone who thinks that Turkish names too have the "surname" first. They don't; it's just that a lot of Turkish footballers are customarily referred to by their given names rather than their surnames.

Evelino.me
764745.  Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Sophie.A wrote:
Chinese names in Episode 8 of Series C: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X7cHI158C3o

I have figured out how Stephen Fry’s name was translated into Chinese on that show. He was either Stiff Fragrant Husband Come or Private Sweet Bend-over Pipe (Si-Fen Fu-Lai).

Stiff Fragrant Husband Come – 死芬夫来
http://people.delphiforums.com/scientia/Si3Fen1Fu1Lai2.wma

Private Sweet Bend-over Pipe – 私芬匐籁
http://people.delphiforums.com/scientia/Si1Fen1Fu2Lai4.wma

I’ll post the translations of the other names when I’ve figured them out.

I do not think this Chinese name is correct. In Chinese, translation a non-Chinese name into Chinese name have to follow a standard.
please go to http://dictionary.professional-chinese-names.com/ to check it.

sjb
764752.  Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote

When I studied Chinese the professors gave us all Chinese names before we arrived for the summer. They wanted to give us names that were similar to our Anglophone names but that were genuine enough that a Chinese person wouldn't laugh as transliterating seems to do. Ahem.

This was different from my studies of other languages were we simply chose some name that we fancied. I studied Spanish long enough to rack up a pile of Spanish names. Just one in German. Come to think of it, a lot of people still call me by my favorite accumulated Spanish name.

My Chinese name is 柏嫻立 - Bó Xiánlì (sounds sort of like Bwa Tsiann Lee). Most of the teachers ended up calling me Lìli. The full name means cypress/cedar elegant/refined/skillful stand/let stand/establish/set. I interpret it as elegant standing cypress. :)

bobwilson
764756.  Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote

On the reverse side of this coin - why is Feng Shui (pronounced Fung Shway) allowed?

Celebaelin
764792.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote

sjbodell wrote:
The full name means cypress/cedar elegant/refined/skillful stand/let stand/establish/set. I interpret it as elegant standing cypress. :)

Or, in your capacity working for the Lebanese Forestry Commission - Let stand the elegant cedar.

sjb
764888.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote

Uh oh--I've been found out.

Jenny
764917.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote

All too easy these days, unfortunately!

Alfred E Neuman
764920.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
sjbodell wrote:
The full name means cypress/cedar elegant/refined/skillful stand/let stand/establish/set. I interpret it as elegant standing cypress. :)

Or, in your capacity working for the Lebanese Forestry Commission - Let stand the elegant cedar.

In a moment of youlgreave, I caught myself wondering why lesbians would need a seperate Forestry Commission.

suze
764962.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Because being a lesbian forest is really quite frightening.

You'll have heard of the Petrified Forest of Lesbos ...

Evelino.me
793068.  Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Get your professional Chinese names here:

Or Translate your names into Chinese by yourself here

BaiKaiWen
849666.  Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
On the reverse side of this coin - why is Feng Shui (pronounced Fung Shway) allowed?

Feng Shui (風水) is a chinese phrase. It's not a name of any sort.

What do you mean why is it allowed?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next