View previous topic | View next topic

Hamburg

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

suze
622101.  Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I can't answer that, but I can note that in the course of his 370 game career in the Bundesliga, he was booked 118 times and sent off seven times.

What's more, some of his behaviour has been, shall we say, colourful. His record includes affairs with teammate's wives, a conviction for assault, and telling the press that teams like Cork City were too rubbish to be allowed in the UEFA Cup (following which, Bayern München promptly drew 1-1 with them).

AlmondFacialBar
622146.  Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote

well, he said similar things about werder bremen, namely that they shouldn't be allowed to be in the bundesliga.

the moment that made him an asshole legend, however, was being sent home from the 1994 world cup for giving the audience the finger. OUCH!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Davini994
622347.  Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote

What an asshole.

thedrew
622570.  Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:

If minced beef was called Hamburger steak (which seems fairly well established?), it seems incredible to claim that a Hamburger beef sandwich is named after something else.

I'll grant you it's a stretch - but the modern hamburger would be named after the steak, not the city. No matter what the origin, the name is derived from the city of Hamburg, Germany, even though it wasn't invented there. I think that's marginally interesting (mi?).

This is true of most American food. It is named after somewhere in Europe but looks nothing like European food.

Spud McLaren
634711.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote

In the 1970s my family was friendly with a family from Bargteheide, not too far from Hamburg, and we used to take turns to stay with each other. We asked them about hamburgers (the foodstuff) and neither they nor any of their friends had heard of them.

Unless they were sending us up.

AlmondFacialBar
634841.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote

they were sending you up. ;-) i can assure you that hamburgers were a perfectly well-known and reasonably popular foodstuff in 1970's rural northern germany.

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
634843.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote

How old are Frikadellen?

AlmondFacialBar
634848.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote

well, frikadellen are not really like hamburger patties because they're never pure beef and therefore a lot jucier. (usual frikadellen recipe: half beef mince, half pork mince, egg, stale bread, diced onion, seasonings) it's sure to be at least a couple of centuries old, for instance the berlin version ("boulette") was brought there by the hugenots in the late 17th century.

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
634852.  Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I was just thinking that the two are very similar in style, and it would hardly be stretching logic to suggest that an all-beef version would have been around at the same time.

Just Say No To Vorderman
641697.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote

Re FC St Pauli..the president was Transvestite owner of various sex clubs...I'm not sure he's still in charge though.

St Pauli are probably the only football (or indeed sporting) club in the world to produce their own brand of cigarettes :-)

They also usually take the pre-season team photo outside the local prison and pre-season tours tend to be to places like Cuba

Excellent ad for their new jackets :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtqxAaQQ9sM

djgordy
641722.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote

Just Say No To Vorderman wrote:
Re FC St Pauli..the president was Transvestite owner of various sex clubs...I'm not sure he's still in charge though.

He's always in charge...

..until you say the special safety word.

AlmondFacialBar
641786.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote

um... no... sorry... that's bollocks. corny littmann (who is still is charge of the club) is not and never has been a transvestite and has never owned any sex clubs either. i think re the transvestite bit you're confusing him with his business partner ernie reinhard, whose transvestite act is famous all over germany. regarding the sex-clubs, also big no there. littmann and reinhard own two theatres that, despite being situated in st pauli (hamburg's red light district), concentrate on cabaret, light theatre and operetta. just curious - where did you get that other information from?

AlmondFacialBar

Just Say No To Vorderman
641902.  Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

um... no... sorry... that's bollocks. corny littmann (who is still is charge of the club) is not and never has been a transvestite and has never owned any sex clubs either. i think re the transvestite bit you're confusing him with his business partner ernie reinhard, whose transvestite act is famous all over germany. regarding the sex-clubs, also big no there. littmann and reinhard own two theatres that, despite being situated in st pauli (hamburg's red light district), concentrate on cabaret, light theatre and operetta. just curious - where did you get that other information from?

AlmondFacialBar

I stand corrected :-) I thought it was Corny who was the drag artiste.
I've been over to watch St Pauli a few times..and bought their ciggies :-)
I was over there the other week for the Celtic v HSV game and had a great time as always. Particularly enjoyed the Friday night in a bar called the Old Sailor just off the Reeperbahn :-)
Did the sightseeing bus tour this time. The guide apologised for not speaking much english and promised to point out the important things in english for me..sadly his idea of important or interesting wasn't the same as mine although seeing the flat Boris Bekker once lived in was mildly interesting.
My hairdresser here in Newcastle is a St Pauli fan from Hamburg and we had a girl from the Fanladen living here for a year while she worked with the football supporters trust or whatever they're called

Re the advert..I believe it's a reference to the police attacking the Jolly Roger pub with water cannons a few weeks ago :-)

AlmondFacialBar
641940.  Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote

god yeah, i miss hamburg and pauli in particular. as for the club - it's just special, isn't it? not a fan myself, werder bremen is my club, but you just can't hate them, or even be mad at them. they kick us out of the german fa cup with depressing regularity - yes, third division vs. champions leauge, and third divison nearly always wins, and yet all you can do when it happens once again is congratulate them. pauli, plain and simple, rock! wanna impress your hairdresser? chant this:

wir sind die wilden horden
wir rauben und wir morden
wir waschen uns nie
st pauli!

:-P

AlmondFacialBar

Just Say No To Vorderman
641956.  Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote

My hairdresser was impressed enough when he saw me in my St Pauli hooded top :-)..that's how I met him and ended up getting my hair cut by him(with a St Pauli discount of course).

I discovered them through traveling in Europe following Celtic and meeting the same bunch of German guys at all the games and being invited over. To be honest I don't really like football that much in my old age but standing on the terraces with a bunch of anti nazi skinheads/punks/hippies and strange Germans in denim patched waistcoats is a wonderful experience.
For the HSV game there were about 3000 Celtic fans and a further 1500 St Pauli supporting us. What an atmosphere :-)
Werder fans are a decent bunch too ;-)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next