View previous topic | View next topic

Hamburg

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
617261.  Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Apart from being the second largest city in Germany, a "Hamburg" is also the name of a type of chicken.

Perhaps the most fan of the Hamburg chicken was L. Frank Baum, the creator of The Wizard of Oz. For those not aware, there are several books set in the land of Oz, of which Baum wrote 14 before his death.

At the age of 20, Baum began to breed poultry, especially Hamburg chickens. In 1880, Baum established The Poultry Record, a monthly trade journal. Baum's first ever book was published in 1886 at the age of 30. It was The Book of the Hamburgs: A Brief Treatise upon the Mating, Rearing, and Management of the Different Varieties of Hamburgs.

His love of chickens would appear in the world of Oz. In the third Oz book, Ozma of Oz, Dorothy has a chicken called Billina, who acts as the third book's version of Toto the dog.

Source: Biblio.com

Posital
617461.  Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote

Chickens?

Hamburg is even more famous than that, having given its name to the omnipresent fast food sandwich...

mckeonj
617479.  Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote

I doubt it was given willingly.................

Sebastian flyte
619201.  Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote

There is hamburg parsley of course. It tastes like kohl rabi and celariac not of parsnip. commerciallinksorrycouldn'tfindmuchelse

thedrew
621421.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote

A good question for QI is what are Hamburgers named after. Hamburg, Germany being almost certainly wrong. They are named after Hamburg, New York, or a food called Hamburg Steak, depending on who you ask.

It, like most American foods, is attributed to some young American at a County/State/World's Fair or Coney Island whose fare was so popular that he ran out of some ingredient and had to improvise. Almost all of these stories are total crap, but it is likely that the popularity of the food did spring from a fair and that anyone selling something new at a fair is going to claim it as a personal invention.

During World War I, hamburgers were replaced with "salisbury steak" on menus. These were served on buns just like hamburgers, but they didn't come with an unpopular ethnic name.

The hamburger that the world knows and loves (or hates) comes from two primary inventors, Walter Anderson, founder of White Castle, and the McDonald brothers of San Bernardino, CA. Anderson created what most people think of as a hamburger bun for his slyders. Anyone who has had a slyder can attest that they are different than proper burgers, but are still in the burger family.

Dick and Mac McDonald invented the assembly line burger as part of their Speedie Service campaign. A travelling milkshake machine salesman saw the operation and decided to buy it from the brothers. He was Ray Kroc, longtime president of McDonald's.

Davini994
621455.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Again, you haven't offered anything in support of a fairly contentious claim, namely that hamburgers aren't named after the German city.

Not that the nomenclature for a minced beef sandwich is particularly world changing; any more than soggy biscuits being called cookies, or small, soggy cakes being called muffins.

thedrew
621497.  Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote

Assertion that Hamburgers are named after Hamburger Steak: http://www.seymourhistory.org/news/?id=35http://www.seymourhistory.org/news/?id=35

Assertion that Hamburgers are named after Hamburg, NY: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/southernsuburbs/story/736022.html#

In any case, no such grilled ground beef sandwich can be shown to have originated from Hamburg, Germany, though it first appears on US menus in the late 19th century. Granted the hamburger is named after things that came from or were named after Hamburg, Germany.

But a hamburger is not a native Hamburger.

Davini994
621541.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote

Well done!

It sounds like the first one is claiming that they are named after Hamburg Germany. The second one doesn't even make the claim in the open; only that 'according to' and 'so the story goes'. It sounds like the town of Hamburg fancies a big fair and some glory!

If minced beef was called Hamburger steak (which seems fairly well established?), it seems incredible to claim that a Hamburger beef sandwich is named after something else.

Isn't this just another mystification of American history, a la the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock?

AlmondFacialBar
621714.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote

hamburg surpassed town status a couple of centuries ago i think, and i doubt it needs to fall back on dry grilled beef mince in a soggy bun for its glory. ;-) to my grandparents' generation the beef burger (as opposed to the regular german beef and pork burger) was known as a german beefsteak, which sounds extremely hamburg to me. well, my two cents i guess...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
621727.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Hello AFB - not seen you around for a bit. Welcome back :-)

Davini994
621734.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote

This bit:
AFB wrote:
It sounds like the town of Hamburg fancies a big fair and some glory!

Was about the town in the US, not the city in Germany! If that's what you are referring to here:
AFB wrote:
hamburg surpassed town status a couple of centuries ago i think, and i doubt it needs to fall back on dry grilled beef mince in a soggy bun for its glory. ;-)

AlmondFacialBar
621753.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote

right, ok. ;-) thing is, hamburg, germany, is one of my favourite cities on earth, i miss it mucho.

AlmondFacialBar

Ion Zone
621758.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I liked Bellina, you don't get many really strange companion creatures in fantasy books, it's always something cool, or that the author thinks is cool, but ends up bland. A prissy hen is a welcome change!

Unfortunately, one of my parents dropped my copy down the toilet before I could finish it, I'll have to get the set....

AlmondFacialBar
621774.  Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote

some actual facts about the beautiful city of hamburg, germany:

- it's got the second biggest port in europe and the eighth biggest on earth

- it was one of the founding members of the hanseatic league in 1231

- with f.c. st. pauli it's got the only professional football club in germany that has an openly gay president

- it was the site of germany's first baptist congregation, founded in 1832

- its civil and public servants, as well as its politicians, are traditionally obliged to decline civil and military honours owing to a 13th century by-law. for everybody else it's still bad style to accept them. to honour its greatest citizens hamburg instead gives them the freedom of the city.

- hamburg has germany's oldest public opera house, founded in 1678

- the first of hamburg's legendary flying p liner tall ships was called "poodle" after the owner's aunt's silly hairstyle.

- hamburg as a region has the fourth highest gdp in the eu, after london, luxemburg and brussels

- hamburg's status as a free city is based on a medieveal forgery

- the kaiserkeller club that gave the beatles their big break still exists and is still cool

- 15% of hamburg's population are not german citizens

- hamburg is the only german state that has no unesco world heritage site within its borders

- its zoo, hagenbeck's tierpark, was the first one on earth with non-barred enclosures

- hamburg has the world's biggest cemetry

- in 1919 hamburg was the scene of the hamburg headcheese riots (no shit) because of a rumour that a major meat processor was using human cadavers for the production of said foodstuff. (mmmmmmm... soylent green) he didn't, btw, it was all a misunderstanding, but it still lead to a couple of days of civil war

- some notable hamburgers (without the soggy bun):

former german chancellor and general legend helmut schmidt (who manages the unique feat of dragging milk jugs across conference tables with the handle of his cane, eat your heart out, house! :-P)

director of the london school of economics baron ralf dahrendorf

footie legend uwe seeler

footie asshole stefan effenberg

bolton wanderers (ex-werder bremen, and, man, that's sore) striker ivan klasnic

paul carl beiersdorf, inventor of nivea cream

physicist and discoverer of electromagnetic waves heinrich hertz

fashion designers karl lagerfeld, wolfgang joop and jil sander

sculptor ernst barlach

composers carl philipp emanuel bach, georg philipp telemann and johannes brahms

hollywood director douglas sirk

nobel peace laureate carl von ossietzky

founder of the alternative nobel prize jakob von uexkuell

kick-ass medieval pirate klaus stoertebecker

9/11 ringleader mohammed atta

current german chancellor angela merkel (born in hamburg, her family only moved to the east later)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Davini994
622026.  Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Excellent post AFB!

Somehow I'd managed to live all of my long life believing that Effenberg was from somewhere in the former GDR, for some reason. Why is he an asshole?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next