View previous topic | View next topic

Happy Birthday Bumps

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Spud McLaren
627101.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Yes, I remember birthday bumps. I escaped because (although you wouldn't think it to see me now) I did my growing early and was consequently built like a brick s***house by the time I was 10 - they couldn't lift me!

Bondee
627106.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote

The school bully and his little gang of worms tried to give me the bumps one year, but I threw up on him. They left me alone for the rest of the day.

Spud McLaren
627107.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
The school bully and his little gang of worms tried to give me the bumps one year, but I threw up on him. They left me alone for the rest of the day.

Brilliant! I love a bit of direct action, me.

'yorz
627110.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote

I am thoroughly baffled.
In my foreign eyes it's pure bullying and sadism, under the cloak of 'jollyness'.
Strange lot, you Brits.

bemahan
627112.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote

In the area in which I was brought up, 'yores, it was always done in good fun and something that the bumpee enjoyed. I never knew of anyone who was 'bumped' against their will but I can believe bullies would do so. The 'beats' and punches is new to me. Maybe that's a regional variation?

Ion Zone
627118.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I can't resist: The title of this thread sounds like something Humphrey Littleton might say to a certain female acquaintance....

bemahan
627120.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote

I was wondering when someone would mention Samantha (but not on this thread!).

Spud McLaren
627124.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
In the area in which I was brought up, 'yores, it was always done in good fun and something that the bumpee enjoyed. I never knew of anyone who was 'bumped' against their will but I can believe bullies would do so. The 'beats' and punches is new to me. Maybe that's a regional variation?

Even when I was at school, the trick was to receive the bumps from your mates, in full view of the rest of the school, as there was an unwritten law that you could only receive them once. Even the bullies seemed to respect this. But the bullies from my schooldays would seem like Walter & his gang of cissies now...

Ion Zone
627142.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I couldn't help myself. :)

mckeonj
627155.  Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Not only bumps, but tossing in a blanket.........
Stop sniggering at the back!
.........and the bullies thought it tremendous fun to whip away the blanket..........
I won't tell you again!
.......as you descended.
Another jolly jape at my boarding school was "The Order of the Braces" (FOAF Braces are Y shaped suspenders)..........
Right! Naughty step - NOW!
The braces would be ceremoniously placed over the smaller boy's shoulders, reversed, with the two ends hanging down the back; then the single front end yanked down smartly, so that the back ends whipped smartly past the smaller boys protruding ears, causing instant bilateral pain.

Jenny
627376.  Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote

Goodness me, children really are appalling little beasts.

Craig.L
631039.  Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote

Bumps.... Yup!!! 40 now and subjected to the bumps from as early as I remember... It wasn't just kids who did this in Scotland though - my parents, well, rather my father, always gave me the bumps. To me, it was a nice thing (except when idiots at school tried to knock the wind out of you by the ferocity of their blows). To me, and the way my father introduced this to my brother and I, it was a way of marking your age in a quite direct way... though the one for luck has to be questioned, surley that was just to get an extra knock in!!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2