View previous topic | View next topic

Height

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
614388.  Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote

Robert Wadlow, officially the tallest man in history at 8'11.1", was only 22 when he died of an infected blister.

phildavo18
614800.  Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote

In the japanese anime series 'Fullmetal Alchemist', the main character, Edward Elric, gets very insulted when anyone refers to his height as being short, small, a pipsqueak or a shrimp. He is apparantley 15 and 4'11".

exnihilo
615142.  Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Interestingly, after centuries of increasing average height, largely down to better nutrition and healthcare, it is now thought that the average height of American males is decreasing, and for the first time the average height of British males is greater.

At least according to John Komlos et al., who have been working in this field.
See also, for a summary, this article in The Guardian.

djgordy
615159.  Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote

phildavo18 wrote:
In the japanese anime series 'Fullmetal Alchemist', the main character, Edward Elric, gets very insulted when anyone refers to his height as being short, small, a pipsqueak or a shrimp. He is apparantley 15 and 4'11".

In fact, since he is a cartoon character. his actual height is more likely to be in the region of 1 or 2 inches.

QiScorpion
615374.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Kosen

The world's newest tallest man. 8ft 1. the mind boggles. I'm a full 2 feet and 4 inches smaller than him (last measurement i was 5ft 8).

PDR
615406.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote

We should not make such a fuss about the differently lofted, lest we be accused of trying to introduce a pro-apart-height regime...

PDR

gruff5
615407.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Interestingly, after centuries of increasing average height, largely down to better nutrition and healthcare, it is now thought that the average height of American males is decreasing, and for the first time the average height of British males is greater.

That is interesting. I'm British, 6'1" and worked in Wisconsin, USA for 6 months in 1985. I feel tall in UK, I felt average or maybe even below-average height for a male in Wisconsin at that time. Something to do with their dairy-intensive diet, perhaps. Similar reason why Netherlands has such tall people.

gruff5
615414.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote

And:
exnihilo wrote:
this article[/url] in The Guardian.

in that article:

In fact, the very idea that various peoples are programmed, on average, to be short or tall is thrown into doubt by Komlos's work. Apart from a few rare races, such as African pygmies who are genetically programmed to have low stature, virtually everyone in the world has the potential to reach the same average height as the Dutch, and that includes the Mexicans, Chinese, Inuit, and other peoples who are not usually noted for their stature.

Which is also interesting. I visited China in 2006 and was surprised not to find the population particularly shorter than Europeans. Around the Beijing area, they seemed as tall as north Europeans, possibly taller than Mediterrean Europeans - which I had not been expecting.

This contrasts with the Japanese I've met who have been visiting UK - they have almost universally been of short stature.

Peregrine Arkwright
615485.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Could it simply be that if you live in a very low country you need to be tall enough to see over the dykes?

PA

Davini994
615492.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote

It's a wonderful fact. Is there any indication of the relative importance of the quality of healthcare vs diet?

exnihilo
615525.  Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote

I've not read all of the research, but certainly diet (and climate - which affects production, which affects diet) has been directly linked to stature historically.

For recent variations, the stature and health of the average Briton improved during and post-war in large part due to rationing which is part of how we began to catch up to the Americans who had long enjoyed - on average - a far better diet. It is noted in that article that a contributing factor in the decline of the American average is the diet of the underprivileged - which supports the observations Gruff made about Wisconsin.

Oddly, though, Japan claims a very similar average height to the UK (though not to the Netherlands) and, again, this is attributed to the adoption of more western diet, which has led to all manner of things having to be lengthened or raised to accommodate a generation which is far taller than its forbears. Interestingly, Japanese average height increased steadily for a long time and then decreased, only beginning to rise again recently - this is being linked to population density.

PDR
615666.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:
Could it simply be that if you live in a very low country you need to be tall enough to see over the dykes?

I would see that as more of an issue on Saphos than the Low Countries, surely?

PDR

suze
615681.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote

Did you mean Lesbos ...?

PDR
615687.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote

Probably - it's all greek to me...

PDR

gruff5
615690.  Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
... Interestingly, Japanese average height increased steadily for a long time and then decreased, only beginning to rise again recently - this is being linked to population density.

Interesting article, particularly the later parts about the changes in the shape of Japanese women |. .| ->(.)(.)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next