View previous topic | View next topic

D flat major

Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Celebaelin
47089.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote

There was a whole thing here after my beery evening with live music but what it distils down to is "How fast can you play?" At all I mean, 'breakneck' if you like, erm, prestissimo I suppose. The way I figure it if you get much over 2112 the tectonic membrane gives up and you're on your own but at the moment I make that slightly faster than a beat and a half at demi-semi-demi-semi-demi. I've done it (not recently though) but have you beaten your own ear?

Zaphod Beeblebrox
47141.  Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote

What does come after the hemi-demi-semiquaver?

QI Individual
47498.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
samivel wrote:
Gaazy wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to read some of Ms Rowling's oeuvre.

Now why on earth would you want to do a thing like that?

I'm wondering why on earth I said it in the first place.

Oh, I know, it was something to do with a Dobby of whom I'd never heard.

The older I get, the less I understand.

Your truth and knowledge craving personage might discover it to be of a usefullness to you to find himself aware of the sweet and lovely wide eyed factoid that the literary encephalic offspring produced by the intellectually fragrant a.k.a. Rowlingness is also of an availability in the formation of a predominantly auditory inclined production which joyfully happens to be vocalised quite beamingly by the mellifluous and brain lickingly lovely person of our mutual acquaintanceness Mr. S. Fry Esq.

I am of a greetingness to your yearnedness.....

dr.bob
47595.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I've done it (not recently though) but have you beaten your own ear?

It depends on the note you're playing.

During the first year of my physics degree I did a course on Vibrations & Waves (or vibs & wavs as the students knew it). The lecturer demonstrated that the brain actually has to wait for the note to complete a sufficient proportion of one whole wavelength before it can figure out what note you're playing. He played a short part of a very low note and it was impossible to hear a musical sound.

So, if you want to play fast enough to beat your own ear, stick to the left-hand side of the keyboard.

Celebaelin
47616.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote

I was playing a run of 48 notes (well, 24 really forwards and then backwards).

DELETED
48563.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

Flash
48591.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj - thanks for posting your harmonator, which I have only just seen. A couple of questions: why does it irritate professional musicians? And:
Quote:
The black triangle shows the MAJOR triad which can be built on the lst, 4th, and 5th notes of the scale, marked with black circles; the red triangle the MINOR triad which can be built on the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th notes of the scale,

isn't the major triad the 1st, 3rd and 5th? And doesn't the minor triad use a note which isn't in the major scale at all (the flatted 3rd), combined with the 1st and 5th, rather than the 2nd-3rd-6th you describe?

Asking 'cause I wanna know.

mckeonj
48619.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
mckeonj - thanks for posting your harmonator, which I have only just seen. A couple of questions: why does it irritate professional musicians? And:
Quote:
The black triangle shows the MAJOR triad which can be built on the lst, 4th, and 5th notes of the scale, marked with black circles; the red triangle the MINOR triad which can be built on the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th notes of the scale,

isn't the major triad the 1st, 3rd and 5th? And doesn't the minor triad use a note which isn't in the major scale at all (the flatted 3rd), combined with the 1st and 5th, rather than the 2nd-3rd-6th you describe?

Asking 'cause I wanna know.

It irritated some I know because it presented simply what they had spent years learning. I can't really answer your second question because I didn't study music that well, just sufficient to sight read for singing a capella; I don't even play an instrument (but then Einstein couldn't do adding up and taking away). As far as I know, one simply shifts the triangles back and forth by a semitone. I guess you could make one that produces more subtle chords, but then it wouldn't be simple enough for a good grounding in basic chords and harmonies.

samivel
48629.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Einstein couldn't do adding up and taking away.

Or brush his hair

djgordy
48635.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Einstein was not a handsome fellow
Nobody ever called him Al
He had a long moustache to pull on, it was yellow
I don't believe he ever had a girl
One thing he missed out in his theory
Of time and space and relativity
Is something that makes it very clear;
He was never gonna score like you and me

He didn't know about
Quark, Strangeness and Charm

I believe, though, that Hawkwind's claim that Einstein never had a girl is something of a slur.

Jenny
48660.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote

Well I think Mrs Einstein might have disputed it.

Flash
48679.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote

Maybe some of the musos around here could help us, but I think that if the device gives the results you quote then it may have achieved simplicity at the expense of accuracy - which I suppose could partially explain the irritation.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
48863.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Yeah - major triad is the Tonic, the 3rd and the 5th of the scale. The Tonic, 4th and 5th and the 2nd, 3rd, 6th are just chords (and dischords at that) within the key (they don't use accidentals that aren't in the key signature), but they're not triads.

Triads in a major key go like so:

Tonic: 1st, 3rd, 5th (major)
Supertonic: 2nd, 4th, 6th (minor)
Mediant: 3rd, 5th, 7th (minor)
Subdominant: 4th, 6th, 1st (major)
Dominant: 5th, 7th, 2nd (major)
Submediant: 6th, 1st, 3rd (minor)
Leading note: 7th, 2nd, 4th (diminished)

Gaazy
49037.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Yeah - major triad is the Tonic, the 3rd and the 5th of the scale. The Tonic, 4th and 5th and the 2nd, 3rd, 6th are just chords (and discords at that) within the key (they don't use accidentals that aren't in the key signature), but they're not triads.

In recent theory they would be considered so, triads being any chords with three notes in them.

In music set theory, notes played together are called [pitch] simultaneities, and are called, according to how many "pitch classes" are involved: dichord (or dyad), trichord (or triad), tetrachord (or quartad), pentachord (or quintad), hexachord, septachord, octachord, nonachord, decachord, undecachord, and aggregate or dodecachord.

There is also a word for a single "pitch class" - monad.

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to the D thread recently, having been seduced by General Banter and Quite Interestrings.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
49079.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy: thanks for that, I thought triads were just two 3rds on top of eachother (if that makes sense). Clearly I've been being taught old-fashioned theory :p

Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next