View previous topic | View next topic

What is always increasing and decreasing at the same time?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

bobwilson
709154.  Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What is always increasing and decreasing at the same time?

Can I just point out that any old iron can both be (in)creasing and decreasing at the same time.

WordLover
732412.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote

To get back on topic:
ChristopherRobin wrote:
Stephen: Monotone. If a function is strictly increasing, it increases steadily, that is to say, without staying constant. A monotone increasing function, on the other hand, is increasing, but is allowed intervals where it stays constant. Decreasing is the same, only in the opposite direction.

Alan: Ben, do you understand what he's saying?

Ben: Yes. And I understand now. A constant function is both monotone increasing and monotone decreasing. What I meant just now was that a constant function is neither strictly increasing nor strictly decreasing. I didn't specifically say the word "strictly" so Stephen took me to mean the other one, that sly old bastard.
Wrong. With regard to functions, "increasing" does indeed mean "strictly increasing". What Stephen termed "monotone increasing" is termed "non-decreasing". BTW "increasing steadily" doesn't mean "increasing without staying constant". A function can be increasing everywhere, but in an unsteady way.

bobwilson
732807.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote

I still think my answer is better (and funnier)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2