View previous topic | View next topic

Hobbit, The "path is now clear"

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Posital
610181.  Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Q: "What's it got in its pocketses?"
A: 7.5% of $6bn for charity, perhaps?

The path is now clear for newline to make hobbit films!

Anything interesting - apart from their feet being hairy?

QiScorpion
611345.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote

Yes. There is interesting stuff about hobbitses, if you're interested in it.

To quote "A Bestiary of Tolkien"

Quote:
Fallohides: "Of the Halfling people called Hobbits, there were said to be three strains: the Fallohides, the Stoors and the Harfoot... the Fallohide brothers Marcho and Blanco in the year 1601 of the Third Age founded the Shire. And those of the families of Took, Brandybuck and BAggins who contributed famous heroes to the great conflict of the War of the Ring all had strong blood ties to the Fallohide strain."

Quote:
Halflings: No history tells how or when the Hobbits, the smallest of the peoples of Middle-earth, entered the World, but it is thought that perhaps it was in the First AGe of Sun, as they are near relatives of Men. However in the time that Men arose, there were many wars and great deeds wherein powerful races and forces fought for supremacy, and little heed could be taken of such a weak people, who, being half the height of Men were by Men most often called Halflings.

Quote:
Harfoot: Most numerous and typical of the Hobbit strains were those who were named the Harfoot. They were the smallest of the Halflings and their skin and hair were nut-brown. The Harfoot were the first of the Hobbit people to leave the Vales of Anduin and cross over the Misty Mountains into Eriador. This migration was in the year 1050 of the Third Age. they were friendlisest with Dwarves, for they loved hillsides and highlands and hole-dwelling to them was a joy.

Quote:
Hobbits: All Hobbits, both male and female, shared certain characteristics. All measured between two and four feet in height; they were long-fingered, possessed of a well-fed and cheerful countenance, and had curly brown hair upon their heads and peculiar shoeless, oversized feet. An unassuming, conservative people, they judged their peers by their conformity to quiet Hobbit village life. Excessive behaviour or adventurous endeavour were discouraged and considered indiscreet. The excesses of Hobbits were limited to dressing in bright colours and consuming six substantial meals a day.*

*As listed by Pippin in the movie:
Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner, Supper.

Ameena
611378.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote

Don't they also then have "something to fill up the corners before they go to bed"? I'm sure I heard/read that somewhere, aaaaaaages ago...

Ion Zone
611520.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote

There was a story about one that fought a dragon that lived in a hill wearing chain-link armor (Links of metal chain sewn to leather).

gerontius grumpus
611991.  Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
There was a story about one that fought a dragon that lived in a hill wearing chain-link armor (Links of metal chain sewn to leather).

No that's ring mail.

Posital
613608.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote

Just so you know, the picture in the OP is apparently of the representative of Tolkeins heirs. Looks so much like bilbo t'wards the end of the ring films.

Posital
613609.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Don't they also then have "something to fill up the corners before they go to bed"? I'm sure I heard/read that somewhere, aaaaaaages ago...
I'm sure there was mention of elevensies... perhaps it was some strange elven feast?

film wrote:
Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: You've already had it.
Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
[Aragorn turns and walks off in disgust]
Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

Southpaw
613614.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote

Or perhaps that's just a load of 'hilarious' crap they made up for the film...

The 'filling up the corners' previously mentioned is from The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 1, A Long Expected Party:

Quote:
After the feast (more or less) came the Speech. Most of the company were, however, now in a tolerant mood, at that delightful stage which they called 'filling up the corners'.

Posital
613850.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
Or perhaps that's just a load of 'hilarious' crap they made up for the film...
I guess so.

Better than always filming only the hilarious crap that was made up for the book, I s'pose.

exnihilo
613854.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Because Tolkien, that lover of detail, didn't bother specifying them, instead limiting himself to saying Hobbits eat "at least six meals a day when they can get it" and then referencing their eating habits throughout the books. Fancy a film of a book trying to condense quantities of description down to some brief dialogue designed to establish some basic character traits - shameful!

gerontius grumpus
614066.  Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Just so you know, the picture in the OP is apparently of the representative of Tolkeins heirs. Looks so much like bilbo t'wards the end of the ring films.

Is that Christopher Tolkien then?
He looks just like his father.

Southpaw
614244.  Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Fancy a film of a book trying to condense quantities of description down to some brief dialogue designed to establish some basic character traits - shameful!

Precisely. I'm glad you understand.

AMAF
626387.  Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure there was mention of elevensies... perhaps it was some strange elven feast?

I think that elevensies is the meal between second breakfast and luncheon. I highly doubt the Elves ate elevensies.

Posital
626600.  Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote

Hmm... perhaps it was gollum who ate elvesies?

Sadurian Mike
633745.  Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
Quote:
Hobbits: All Hobbits, both male and female, shared certain characteristics. All measured between two and four feet in height; they were long-fingered, possessed of a well-fed and cheerful countenance,

All except one...

(Brought to you by the OTS In-Joke society of QI).

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next