View previous topic | View next topic

Hawaii

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
608200.  Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Probably the two most famous words in the Hawaiian language are "Aloha" which means "Love", and "Wiki" which means "Quick" or "To hasten".

Posital
608253.  Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Cuba started off in the same place as hawaii - and then sat between north and south america for a bit while mexico was being formed there, and then they all shifted one place further to make space for hawaii.

Ion Zone
608271.  Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Are you saying America took a puff on Cuba? :}

Posital
608273.  Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Just don't tell helms or burton...

Starfish13
610359.  Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote

Humu­humu­nuku­nuku­āpua'a is the Hawaiian name for the Reef Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus), also known as a Wedge-Tail Trigger. It is the state fish of Hawaii.

Jenny
610560.  Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Ah well now, the position of the humuhumunukunukuapua'a is not as secure as all that.

It was proposed as the state fish in 1984, mainly by school children, when the state Legislature asked the University of Hawaii and the Waikiki Aquarium to survey the public and come up with a candidate for the state fish. You would think this was not a controversial issue, but because the polling method was questioned the legislature limited the designation to five years. However, when the five years was up, nobody told the public that the humuhumunukunukuapuaa's reign was over and it continued to be publicly touted as the state fish.

A six year old boy named Joel Itomura discovered this, and he asked Blake Oshiro, a member of Hawaii's state legislature, to help restore the fish to its place of honour. Oshiro duly introduced a bill to make the humuhumunukunukuapuaa the state fish permanently and the state legislature passed the bill in April 2006.

Some people wanted the state fish to be the oopu, a brownish, freshwater gobbie endemic to the islands, because the humuhumu is not unique to Hawaii. There are also other fish specific to the islands. Thirteen species of wrass alone are found nowhere else. However the humuhumu is colourful, popular, cute and inedible, which means it doesn't cause fishermen a problem if it is protected.

The humuhumunukunukuapuaa isn't even the Hawaiian fish with the longest name. That honour goes to a long-nosed butterflyfish known as the lau-wiliwili-nukunuku-'oi'oi.

Sources:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/18/AR2006041801460.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183094,00.html

Jenny
610562.  Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote

My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii

I want to go back to the little grass shack in Kealakekua Hawaii
I want to be with all the kanes and wahines that I used to know long ago
I can hear the old guitars a playing on the beach at Honaunau
I can hear the old Hawaiians saying komo mai no kaua i ka hale welakahao.

It won't be long till my ship will be sailing back to Kona
A grand old place that's always fair to see (yes siree)
Well I'm just a little Hawaiian a homesick island boy
I want to go back to my fish and poi.

I want to go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua Hawaii
Where the humuhumunukunukuapuaa go swimming by.

It won't be long till my ship will be sailing back to Kona
A grand old place that's always fair to see (yes siree)
Well I'm just a little Hawaiian a homesick island boy
I want to go back to my fish and poi.

I want to go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua Hawaii
Where the humuhumunukunukuapuaa go swimming by.
Where the humuhumunukunukuapuaa go swimming by...

Should you desire to do so, you can download this song here. It was written by Hank Snow in 1933.

CB27
610708.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote

Whenever someone mentions Hawaii, I'm reminded of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, a great singer who's sadly no longer with us.

Ian Dunn
610739.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote

One of my favourite people associated with Hawaii is Father Damien, a Catholic missionary priest originally from Belgium who helped people suffering from Hansen's disease. On 15 April, the people of Hawaii celebrate Father Damien Day, which before you get any ideas has nothing to do with Drop the Dead Donkey.

CB27
610938.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote

I think I'll give him a call.

exnihilo
610945.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote

In 1993 the then President, Bill Clinton, signed into law a resolution apologising to the people of Hawaii for the unlawful overthrowing of the Kingdom of Hawai'i in 1893 by conspirators including the United States government's representative.

linky

This was viewed as something of a milestone by campaigners for Hawaiian independence.

suze
611020.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote

It also gives the US a tricky little constitutional issue which has yet to get the publicity it deserves.

Although it doesn't say so in so many words, that law implies that the USA accepts that its annexation of Hawaii was illegal. Now then, back in the days of the USSR, a favourite American diplomatic argument was to argue that the Baltic republics (Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania) did not really form part of the USSR, on the basis that they had been illegally annexed in 1940. (Which they undoubtedly had been.)

So by the Americans' own argument, Hawaii does not really form part of the USA.

Now remind me where the current President was born ... (And don't even think about saying "Kenya" ...)

exnihilo
611040.  Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Well, quite. Had got as far as thinking it wasn't strictly part of the US, but hadn't made the leap to Obama.

Page 1 of 1