View previous topic | View next topic

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

davebesag
605785.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote

There are three clear connections betwen H2G2/Douglas Adams and the show (almost certainly more).

1) They were friends.
2) Stephen Fry played the role of the book in the H2G2 film.
3) Stephen Fry is currently starring in 'Last Chance to See' which originally involved Douglas Adams.
4) Stephen Fry says he owned the second Macintosh ever sold in Europe and that Douglas Adams owned the first). http://www.stephenfry.com/2007/10/30/welcome-to-dork-talk/

There's also a connection between Humphrey Littleton and H2G2. The late Geoffrey Perkins was responsible for the introduction of the Mornington Crescent game into I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and also he also produced the two radio series of H2G2.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/2657112/Geoffrey-Perkins.html

dr.bob
605822.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote

davebesag wrote:
There are three clear connections betwen H2G2/Douglas Adams and the show

This is obviously some new definition of the term "three" which I was not previously aware of.

Celebaelin
605823.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote

The fifth element of the increasingly inaccurately entitled trilogy of links between QI and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Like the fact that John Lloyd produced Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in every form from the original radio series (co-writing the last two episodes) to the BBC television production, co-operated with Douglas Adams in the writing of The Meaning of Liff and The Deeper Meaning of Liff and also devised QI and produces the show?

http://www.qi.com/about/people.php

davebesag
605833.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote

There were three links at the time I wrote that sentence!

dr.bob
605842.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
and produces the show?

http://www.qi.com/about/people.php

You don't want to believe anything you read on that dodgy website.

Mr Lloyd no longer produces the show.

Celebaelin
605848.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote

I was trying to remember whether the final credit at the end of the show read 'Devised by' or an equivalent term or perhaps 'Associate Producer' as per Blackadder. Having checked a few web sources all of which still credit him with producing the show I decided that despite knowing that the show is now produced by Piers Fletcher I'd stay safe and not write JL out of the picture entirely so to speak!

IMDb is the most accurate I guess - it credits JL with producing 63 episodes of QI, which I assume was all of them up to the end of the E Series. It also credits JL as Executive Producer in a report dated 11 August 2009. The same report appeared on the front page of this site but I'm still unsure that that is the title used on the credits. Maybe I'll check Youtube - looks like the complete versions of F Series episodes aren't on Youtube and we can't see them on iPlayer anymore so the best source of information would probably be... this site. If not in fact this very thread, perhaps even currently this post! Of course I don't expect this to last, after all those concerned are known to swim these waters so perhaps a definitive view of the present situation will be along at any moment, we can but hope.

Davini994
605913.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote

John talks about his relationship with Douglas and the book a lot in his York QI interview here. The original plan was for Douglas and John to write the book together.

You also have the thrilling prospect of looking at the back of my head.

Bondee
605933.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
You also have the thrilling prospect of looking at the back of my head.

At least we don't have to look at the front of your head!
: p

Ian Dunn
605945.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote

Controversally, a sixth book in the series is being made and will be published on 12 October. Called And Another Thing..., it is being written by Eoin Colfer, the man behind the Artemis Fowl series. The book has been given support by Adams' widow Jane Belson.

You can get a copy of the book earlier at the forthcoming H2G2 convention, Hitchcon.

Official website for And Another Thing...

dr.bob
605981.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Maybe I'll check Youtube - looks like the complete versions of F Series episodes aren't on Youtube and we can't see them on iPlayer anymore so the best source of information would probably be... this site. If not in fact this very thread

In which case I'd like to exclusively reveal that Mr John Lloyd was this morning invaded by pro-Chávez militants who carried out a bloodless coup. As such, Mr Lloyd is now officially a remote offshoot of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

Davini994
606023.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
At least we don't have to look at the front of your head!

Sometimes referred to as a face.

;)

MinervaMoon
606034.  Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I was trying to remember whether the final credit at the end of the show read 'Devised by' or an equivalent term or perhaps 'Associate Producer' as per Blackadder.

This is the final card of the final episode of the F series of FI. Sorry, QI.

Davini994
606894.  Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote

Stephen talking about Last Chance To See, his friendship with Douglas and his love of Macs:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/02/stephen-fry-endangered-species

zomgmouse
606899.  Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote

Another link is that Adams appeared twice on Flying Circus (writing once), and Michael Palin (who appeared more than twice) was originally slated as a "captain" of a team.

Ian Dunn
606926.  Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote

Douglas Adams is also one of only two people to write for Monty Python's Flying Circus who were not members of the Monty Python team. He wrote the "Patient Abuse" sketch which appears in the final episode. The other writer was Neil Innes who wrote three songs and contributed to a sketch, all of which were in Series 4.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next