View previous topic | View next topic

Salamanders

Page 1 of 1

LJHV
598995.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote

Can anyone help. Am I right in thinking that I saw an episod about Salamanders and the fact they are not fully developed, but this can be altered by administering an injection of iodine???

I have searched the web and can't find any reference to this fact.....

Please put me out of my mental misery and solve my qus????

Curious Danny
599085.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote

The fact I believe is true - i read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that if you put iodine on a tadpole it will turn into a frog, but it will be tiny compared to those who naturally grow to full size.
I will try to find a source.

P.S It may actually be "Chemical Chaos" from the horrible science series, but i haven't read that in years.

Ameena
599113.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote

You're thinking of axolotls, which are, I think, the adolescent form of a certain type of salamander, and will grow up into one if you put iodine in their water. Something like that, anyway.

zomgmouse
599189.  Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote

In a game of charades once I had to do "Alexander the Great" and was frantically trying to enact "sounds like Salamander". Needless to say nobody got it, so I gave up with that and enacted pulling a sword out and being proud, which led to "Great"... "The Great"... "Someone the Great".... "Alexander the Great!" God that was horrible. Not as bad as "exploitation of animals".

suze
599249.  Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote

Were I doing Alexander the Great in a game of charades, I reckon it'd be easier to act stumbling around drunk and then dropping to the ground as if dead.

But clearly you play very highbrow games of charades!

zomgmouse
599279.  Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote

I thought it meant the film (which I later realised is simply called "Alexander").
In retrospect, I could have re-enacted the cutting of the Gordian knot, but I don't think anybody present would have got it.

Page 1 of 1