View previous topic | View next topic

Camels

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ColinM
598333.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote

But if they store water in their blood, and their hump contains blood (not static of course), then it would seem to me that technically water is stored in their blood. Sheer pedantry of course, but isn't that rather what QI is made of?

Susannah Dingley
598512.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote

ColinM wrote:
But if they store water in their blood … then it would seem to me that technically water is stored in their blood.

What a brilliant tautology! I love it!

Anyway, Flash has replied to my PM, saying he agrees with me. There you are, folks. Watch out for a forfeit for Alan on this question in a future series!

Alfred E Neuman
598518.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
THAT IS COMPLETE RUBBISH!!

No need to shout...

Susannah Dingley wrote:
It survives arid conditions by being able to drink a huge amount of water in one sitting (something like six litres) and then go a long time without drinking again. It can also tolerate considerable fluctuations in its body temperature.

I suspect that if I were walking through the desert that I could drink close to 6 litres in one go, and I'm pretty sure camels can drink a whole lot more than that.

gruff5
598529.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote

"A camel is a horse designed by committee"
- so the saying goes.

Considering the clever design of camels; is this a eulogy for committees?

Efros
598550.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote

I thought it was elephants were mice designed by a committee.

CB27
598585.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Surprised Reddy hasn't mentioned these:

They're advertised as "Extra sour, liquid filled", mmmm....

Timetrvlr
672701.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote

In addition to the Dromedary camel of Africa and Asia and the Bactrian camel of Asia, the Camelid family includes four more relatives in South America. The Llama is best known along with the Alpaca, Guanaco and Vicuna. None of these four have humps (for storing water or blood or fat) but do share many other camel features.

What I found really interesting was that they have sex lying down. I'm not sure that it's face-to-face, but there it is.

bobwilson
672723.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What I found really interesting was that they have sex lying down. I'm not sure that it's face-to-face, but there it is.

cf Politicians

They are always lying
They have sex (unconfirmed)
They have two faces and therefore have no need or a partner
They frequently get the hump

Zebra57
672789.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote

Llama blood has some unusual properties and under a microscope the red cells look oval. It is also being developed for anti-terrorist use.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/10102.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Llama-Blood-Against-Terrorist-Biological-Attacks-41767.shtml

Timetrvlr
673025.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Rotten terrorist! A lot of Llamas are going to lose a lot of blood over this!

Efros
673048.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Remember

Quote:
las llamas son más grandes que la rana

pdxuser
710270.  Mon May 17, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Another camel fact: They have both one and two humps. Dromedaries (aka Arabian camels) have one, Bactrian camels have two. Many people believe in a false dichotomy between camels and dromedaries.

Quote:
The camel has a single hump,
The dromedary two;
Or is it the other way around?
I'm never sure - are you?
—Ogden Nash

Also, camels don't spit, but on rare occasion when they're upset, they'll regurgitate something from one of their stomachs and fling it out of their mouths.

Alfred E Neuman
710395.  Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote

pdxuser wrote:
Also, camels don't spit, but on rare occasion when they're upset, they'll regurgitate something from one of their stomachs and fling it out of their mouths.

Sounds a lot like spitting to me. Certainly my mother would never have understood the subtleties when I was a child if I tried to convince her that I was merely "flinging it out of my mouth".

Sadurian Mike
710442.  Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote

Agreed. Anything projected from the the mouth with any sort of velocity is being spat out in my book.*

If we can spit out food then a camel can certainly do the same thing. Just because they might not eject saliva or get a jet of air behind it wouldn't make it any less spitting if you saw it in humans. I'm speaking as a man who has had many a gob of saliva dropped on my hat and shoulders from upper landings in my time. We certainly called that "spitting", and I see no reason that a camel shouldn't be attributed with the same function.

*Well, not actually in my book, exactly.

bobwilson
711063.  Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote

It sounds more like vomiting on demand to me

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next