View previous topic | View next topic

Camels

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Susannah Dingley
598214.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote

In the repeat episode from Series B shown on Dave last night, Alan said something about camels storing water in their humps.

THAT IS COMPLETE RUBBISH!!

Camels do not store water in their humps, which consist, rather, of fatty tissues acting as food reserves. In fact, a camel doesn’t store water anywhere in its body. It survives arid conditions by being able to drink a huge amount of water in one sitting (something like six litres) and then go a long time without drinking again. It can also tolerate considerable fluctuations in its body temperature.

It amazes me that Stephen didn’t take points off Alan for that piece of urban myth about camels!

dr.bob
598263.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

Would that have been Series 2, episode 1? Possibly this bit:

Quote:
Alan
The camel stores water in its hump--

Stephen
Nope.

ColinM
598265.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but drinking a lot of water at once and not having to do so again for a long time sounds rather a lot like storing water somewhere. Not necessarily in a hump of course, but presumably it's still there.

Davini994
598272.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote

Wiki wrote:
Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations. Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated state. These cells are also more stable[7] in order to withstand high osmotic variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of water (100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) to 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) in one drink).[8] Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish.[9]

So it sounds like they store the water in the blood. It's also delayed through the stomach to help, and might be stored subcutaneously too.

There's lots more good stuff about water preservation on the wiki too.

How many points should we take off you do you think Susannah?

Susannah Dingley
598293.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote

In Series C, Dara Ó Briain had points taken off for something he had done in Series B – which was merely saying something only marginally inaccurate about the triple point of water. Now, what was that compared with the unpardonable crime of believing that camels store water in their humps? I am going to send a PM to Flash about this and press for points to be taken off Alan in a future series for this outrageous urban myth about camels!

ColinM
598333.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote

But if they store water in their blood, and their hump contains blood (not static of course), then it would seem to me that technically water is stored in their blood. Sheer pedantry of course, but isn't that rather what QI is made of?

Susannah Dingley
598512.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote

ColinM wrote:
But if they store water in their blood … then it would seem to me that technically water is stored in their blood.

What a brilliant tautology! I love it!

Anyway, Flash has replied to my PM, saying he agrees with me. There you are, folks. Watch out for a forfeit for Alan on this question in a future series!

Alfred E Neuman
598518.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote

Susannah Dingley wrote:
THAT IS COMPLETE RUBBISH!!

No need to shout...

Susannah Dingley wrote:
It survives arid conditions by being able to drink a huge amount of water in one sitting (something like six litres) and then go a long time without drinking again. It can also tolerate considerable fluctuations in its body temperature.

I suspect that if I were walking through the desert that I could drink close to 6 litres in one go, and I'm pretty sure camels can drink a whole lot more than that.

gruff5
598529.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote

"A camel is a horse designed by committee"
- so the saying goes.

Considering the clever design of camels; is this a eulogy for committees?

Efros
598550.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote

I thought it was elephants were mice designed by a committee.

CB27
598585.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Surprised Reddy hasn't mentioned these:

They're advertised as "Extra sour, liquid filled", mmmm....

Timetrvlr
672701.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote

In addition to the Dromedary camel of Africa and Asia and the Bactrian camel of Asia, the Camelid family includes four more relatives in South America. The Llama is best known along with the Alpaca, Guanaco and Vicuna. None of these four have humps (for storing water or blood or fat) but do share many other camel features.

What I found really interesting was that they have sex lying down. I'm not sure that it's face-to-face, but there it is.

bobwilson
672723.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What I found really interesting was that they have sex lying down. I'm not sure that it's face-to-face, but there it is.

cf Politicians

They are always lying
They have sex (unconfirmed)
They have two faces and therefore have no need or a partner
They frequently get the hump

Zebra57
672789.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote

Llama blood has some unusual properties and under a microscope the red cells look oval. It is also being developed for anti-terrorist use.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/10102.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Llama-Blood-Against-Terrorist-Biological-Attacks-41767.shtml

Timetrvlr
673025.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Rotten terrorist! A lot of Llamas are going to lose a lot of blood over this!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next