View previous topic | View next topic

Haggis!!

Page 1 of 1

Is Haggis originally English or Scottish?
English
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Scottish
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Don't know
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

phanope
594394.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote

Recently, I read that Haggis has been declared that it is originally English and not Scottish.

Who agrees and disagrees with this claim?

What are your thoughts??

I am Scottish and I cannot believe what I read. I personally do not know whether to believe that or not since I do not believe everything they say in the news.

scottydog
594408.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote

It's one of these things that are down to interpretation. I am sure that there have been many dishes throughout the world that are similar to haggis, mixtures of grain, meats and herbs cooked in things to hand- like stomach linings.

Haggis as known today, made in the way it is today, must be Scottish.

It's a bit like the same old thing with Black Pudding - the people of Bury claim it to be a Bury invention, but Ghengis Khan was bleeding his horses and frying the blood for food long before anyone could lay claim to any recipe, so where do you draw the line?

Jenny
594501.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote

Maybe we ought to be discussing this in the H series forum? Would be quite interesting if we could show that haggis wasn't Scottish in origin.

soup
594527.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote

There are a lot of (what I call) peasant foods[1] most of which include mostly veg(grains/pulses/root veg WHY) and very little meat( or poor cuts of meat) such as mince, shepherds pie, haggis, sausages, stovies, etc . There are as many recipes for each as there are households I think you would be hard put to state such and such a foodstuff originated in any one particular place . Although as Scotty-dog says Haggis as it is made and understood nowadays is Scottish.

I hate to tell you this phanope but bagpipes and kilts do not owe their origins totally to Scotland either.

[1] Perhaps the most famous of these is foie gras. The nobility were eating their goose and told the peasants they could have the offal from it so the 'clever little' peasants stuffed the birds so their livers enlarged and they had more to eat

dr.bob
594542.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote

Anyone who's read the Book of General Ignorance knows that haggis isn't Scottish.

It's Greek.

See post 221055

96aelw
594610.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Well, it might be; it all depends on what you mean by 'haggis' [/Joad]. If one simply means a foodstuff cooked inside an animal's stomach, then, yes, that which Aristophanes mentions at line 409 of the Clouds probably qualifies. However, the old boy was, unfortunately, rather unspecific about the precise nature of the meal he was referring to (being more concerned with fart jokes than recipe suggestions), so it's not indisputably a haggis. One character, Strepsiades, simply says that he was cooking a pig's stomach, that he forgot to cut it open, and that it exploded. What, if anything, he had stuffed inside the stomach is a matter of pure conjecture, and if one wishes to define a haggis as a mixture of offal and cereal stuffed into a stomach, as one might not unreasonably do, then Aristophanes is not compelling evidence of Hellenic pioneering. That the Greeks stuffed other things than offal into stomachs is well known; it's been noted before round these parts (by me, about every 5 minutes) that Homer, long before Genghis Khan or the fine town of Bury were even a twinkle in a Mongolian milkman's or Lancastrian town planner's eye respectively, described people filling goats' stomachs with blood and fat and then roasting them, thus making black pudding (all together now) the earliest mentioned sausage in Western literature. So Aristophanes could have been talking about one of those, for a start. The Oxford Companion to Food, using the offal and cereal definition, knows certainly of no haggis type foodstuffs before those eaten by the Romans. Mind you, that still makes the English and Scottish very much Johnny-come-latelys both.

Posital
594618.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote

A bit of googling provides us with: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5960237/Haggis-was-invented-by-the-English-not-the-Scottish-says-historian.html

It must be English - the Torygraph says so.

Ooo - and murdoch agrees... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6736182.ece

I wonder what Scottish TV says...

MinervaMoon
594714.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Anyone who's read the Book of General Ignorance knows that haggis isn't Scottish.

It's Greek.

See post 221055

Despite the fact that 3x10 says Ancient Rome, even.

dr.bob
594923.  Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote

You don't want to believe anything you hear on that show! :)

Page 1 of 1