View previous topic | View next topic

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

DrDave
593361.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote

But which sort of fruit fly?

I fear the elves who compiled the book entry for Fly have confused flies of the family Drosophilidae (used in genetics research) with the agricultural pests in the family Tephritidae. They're both referred to as fruit flies.

Drosophila can be a damn nuisance if you are drinking whisky or wine near a compost heap that receives kitchen waste, but they're not really a pest.

cheers

D

Sadurian Mike
593363.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Are you staying or is this a flying visit...?

Posital
593367.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Maybe we'd be taken more seriously if we changed our forum names to Dr Sad Mike and Dr Posital?

Waddayathink?

Sadurian Mike
593368.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I think it is a very slim hope, to be honest.

I'm guessing DrDave is actually a real doctor, albeit one who pulls the legs off spiders for a living.

Posital
593369.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Actually, having seen your Turkish Delight joke - you should give the Dr bit a go, as I think you need every bit of credibility you can muster...

bemahan
593370.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote

I'm afraid I am unable to contribute to this discussion except to say that is one of my favourite jokes.

Posital
593373.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Time flies, you cannot.
They are too quick.

Sadurian Mike
593377.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I'm afraid I am unable to contribute to this discussion except to say that is one of my favourite jokes.

zomgmouse
593394.  Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote

I wonder who'll be the first to try and pull a Freudian analysis of that one-liner.

eggshaped
594774.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Dear Dr Dave,

Thanks for your message. I take it you're talking about the Book of Animal Ignorance? I don't have a copy here at the moment, but I can definitely imagine that we may have got this wrong, I remember at the time struggling over the wording of some entries, as popular names and linnaean taxonomy did not align.

Will take your comments on board and will try to get an amendment in place (if necessary) for an potential subsequent editions.

Davini994
594782.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Dr Dr Shaped,

As I have the page open:

Quote:
Of the flies that are pests, among the most serious are fruit flies; every year they cause billions of dollars of losses in fruit, vegetable and flower crops. Yes they are the most studied and most fascinating flies of all. Cheap, easy to handle and quickly anaesthetised, it is easy to tell males from females and they breed extremely fast, so that many generations can be studied in a short time....

Scientists who work on fruit fly genes (known as drosophilists)....

If that's not appropriate please feel free to zap.

eggshaped
594783.  Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote

If I'm a doctor then so is Dr Gillian McKeith. But thanks Davini, seems like a re-write is in order...

DrDave
595201.  Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Dear Dr Dave,

Thanks for your message. I take it you're talking about the Book of Animal Ignorance? I don't have a copy here at the moment, but I can definitely imagine that we may have got this wrong, I remember at the time struggling over the wording of some entries, as popular names and linnaean taxonomy did not align.

Sorry yes, the BoAI indeed, and you have my undying sympathy about sorting out the popular from the linnaean... If that was the biggest mistake you made, I think you did pretty well!

cheers

D

P.S. Of course I'm not a real doctor, just a PhD (Phony Doctor)

Janet H
595299.  Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Some of the gene sequences of said flies (and other organisms) have some amusing names
http://tinman.nikunnakki.info/?q=browser

for instance -

sonic hedgehog. The gene was first found in fruit fly. It was named hedgehog, as the mutant larvae resembled a hedgehog. One of the human hedgehog genes was named sonic hedgehog, according to the Sega computer game character.

tigger -Tigger is a transposable element in the human genome, i.e. it can jump to another location in the genome. Tigger, in A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, was a bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy character.

wee1 -Yeast gene names consist of just three letters and a number. So, one must be pretty clever to put something descriptive in the name. Like the discoverer of this gene: wee1 mutants divide sooner than they should, so they are wee small.

dr.bob
595657.  Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote

DrDave wrote:
P.S. Of course I'm not a real doctor, just a PhD (Phony Doctor)

Oi! I resemble that remark.

Everyone knows that PhDs are the real doctors. They have to study hard for years and produce a piece of original research which they can defend in front of experts in the field.

Not like those slackers who just poke things in petri dishes for a few years and then get to call themselves "doctor". Pah!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next