View previous topic | View next topic

New word : Furcle

Page 1 of 1

Daze Off
477069.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote

If this is not in the correct cat. please tell me WHERE - as I can't find the section for new words??

"Furcle' is the lowest heat attainable from a heating source to (say) cook or simmer a chilli or a curry. Keith Floyd once enquired about such a word but he didn't look in the Urban Dictionary where there is an apt definition

austinallegro
477331.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't exactly know... but it's quite interesting for sure.

roundhead
477454.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I don't think Keith Floyd was thinking of saying saying "Furcle"

Sadurian Mike
477466.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote

I use "furcle" to mean rummaging about. I can't claim that the spelling is the same, though.

Jenny
477732.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Alternative spellings might be:

firkle
fircle
furkle
furcle
ferkle
fercle

I think I would probably go for firkle, if I ever wanted to employ this word.

zomgmouse
477772.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote

I think "firkle" would be too easily confused with "fickle" when writing.

Celebaelin
477812.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote

Daze Off wrote:
If this is not in the correct cat. please tell me WHERE - as I can't find the section for new words??

If you're talking about the thread mentioned by John Lloyd on the BBC news yesterday morning that was specifically about Liffs and is in the QI Lists Forum and titled The Meaning of Liff. New words, when we come across them, go either into Quite Interestrings or, if we've reached the appropriate letter of the alphabet, into the thread for that letter generally speaking - as you might imagine there are no formal rules as such. It'd be a good idea to have a new words thread in QI Lists but AFAIK you have to be a moderator to be able to start threads in that forum.

JumpingJack wrote:
The object of the game is to find something for which no word exists in English, and marry it to a real placename from anywhere in the world.

viz:

Chetnole n.

The knob on a stopwatch.

Starfish13
478089.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote

Daze Off wrote:

"Furcle' is the lowest heat attainable from a heating source to (say) cook or simmer a chilli or a curry. Keith Floyd once enquired about such a word but he didn't look in the Urban Dictionary where there is an apt definition

The lowest setting on a gas cooker is 'the peep' according to Granny Mac. As in 'there'll be a pot o' soup on the peep for when ye come back in ai nicht'.

Peregrine Arkwright
499278.  Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote

I once toured the editorial ofices of the OED. They have card files full of words which they have encountered but which are not yet considered of sufficient currency to warrant including in the dictionary.

There are something like 600,000 word roots in the OED.

There are three million words in its waiting room at the OED.

Peregrine Arkwright

astrobumpkin
762106.  Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote

When I was dragged up as a kid in the Black Country in the 50's "To have a quick Furkle" was to seek for something energetically, probabley in a drawer or cupboard.

Ian Dunn
762551.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote

Does "furcle" rhyme with "purple"?

Jenny
762602.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Not unless 'circle' does.

Droid
762737.  Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote

I always thought it was 'firtle'.
Maybe It's my accent or a Derbyshire dialect.

Page 1 of 1