gruff5
591626.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote

should think you could claim for those on expenses

Posital
591677.  Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Don't forget to deduct any rent paid.

ClaireBear
592217.  Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, that's some quite interesting stuff.
Ha, I may put a bee house in my garden for next winter so that alot of helpless bees can survive

Lady Jennifer
831650.  Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Occasionally, from amidst the maniacal ramblings comes a gem of useful information. I have recently had occasion to encounter the repeat of one such gem.

Whilst watching a rerun of QI (Dave) the subject of Bees was discussed and I was reminded of a drowning bee that I discovered in a rain collecting container. Having fished the poor bedraggled and sodden insect from the water I remembered the snippet which suggested that a drop of honey would revive it.
I took the patient into the house where I placed it upon a folded sheet of "kitchen roll". The tissue absorbed a surprising amount of water, yet the Bee showed little sign of recovery until I placed a drop of best Lavender Honey on its antennae.
After cleaning itself, the insect perked up a little and attacked with gusto the three further drops of honey that I placed beside it.
Seeing that the creature was rapidly improving, I carefully placed it back in the garden to continue its life.

I was surprised at both how quickly the honey worked and also how much the insect took.

Thank you QI for the suggestion.

Spud McLaren
831659.  Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, Lady J. Stick around.

dr.bob
831715.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote

Hooray! I'm glad to hear that QI really is a force for good. I feel much happier knowing that somewhere out there is a bee that wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for QI.

I probably shouldn't be quite so cheered up by the fate of just one bee, but there you are :)

Ainee
831760.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote

Well it cheered me up, too! Thanks Lady J! One bee saved!

Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths. Bumbles hide up (hibernate?) during the winter, and the little pyramids for them look rather nice in a corner of the garden.

Spud McLaren
831799.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I probably shouldn't be quite so cheered up by the fate of just one bee, but there you are :)
And why not, say I? It's a life too, ain't it? And possibly more deserving than some.

Jenny
831822.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote

Welcome Lady J :-) I'm glad your bee survived because of QI information.

dr.bob
831824.  Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths.

Why do you have to saw up the bamboo?

I have lots of bamboo canes that I only use during the summer so, come winter time, I generally leave them outside piled in an untidy heap in the corner of the garden. I assume bees are just as able to use the full size ones, and I can tell myself that I'm not being untidy, I'm being wildlife friendly :)

Posital
831998.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote

I eat my bees with honey
I've done it all my life
it makes them taste quite funny
but it keeps them on my knife.

Hmmm... something's not right...

Anyone need a "queen excluder"?

aTao
832062.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:38 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Ainee wrote:
Bee houses can be made for Bumblebees by piling up sawn-up hollow bamboo lengths.

I have lots of bamboo canes that I only use during the summer so, come winter time, I generally leave them outside piled in an untidy heap in the corner of the garden. I assume bees are just as able to use the full size ones, and I can tell myself that I'm not being untidy, I'm being wildlife friendly :)

You dont have to, but if you do you can make a tidy little bundle that can hang on a wall like a bird box.

Ainee
832071.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
dr.bob wrote:
Ainee wrote:

You dont have to, but if you do you can make a tidy little bundle that can hang on a wall like a bird box.

You saw them so that the sections have a hole at one end! Otherwise the bees can't get in...

samivel
832168.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote

I don't know where you get your bamboo, but I've never acquired any bamboo canes that were enclosed in the first place, and I suspect the good doctor hasn't, either, which is why he's wondering about the sawing in the first place.

Ainee
832170.  Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote

http://www.foxleas.com/bee_house.htm

Suggestions for making solitary beehouses, even beehotels!

Canes would be much too thin; you need chunkier bamboo, sawn off at an intersection!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next